NC Cephs?

jc45

GPO
Registered
Hello everyone,

I couldn't decide which forum to post this in because it's also a physiological question. Well, here we go anyway...

In June I'm taking a trip to Beaufort, North Carolina to see the tall ships. I'm going to try to explore around some estuaries around the Rachel Carson Bay area. I'm wondering if there are any cephs around there. I know cephs are in osmotic equilibrium with salt water, so is there any mechanism they have to compensate for the rapid changes in salinty in estuaries, like by secreting salt and expanding like a lugworm does, or do they come in briefly with the tide, or do they not even come at all??????:bugout:

Thanks,
Joey

im from sc and around here all the octos are off shore in deeper water like 75-100 feet. occasionally you cant go out at night in the esturaries with lights and cast nets and catch squid though

Oh cool!!!! Do you know what kind of squid?

I'm so excited, if I find one it will be the first ceph I ever come into contact with!!!!!! :biggrin2:

Joey

You'll probably run into Loligo even if you use a hand net off the beaches or if you're REALLY incredibly lucky, you might see an o. vulgaris...

Ok, I'm back from Beaufort!

I've been off the forums for about 6 weeks, and I was in Beaufort taking a marine biology class for the first three, I was on vacation for the last three.

In Beaufort:
I had a great time! I was taking a Marine Biology class through the Duke University T.I.P. program (http://www.tip.duke.edu/about/index.html), at their marine lab (Duke University Marine Lab | Nicholas School of the Environment).

On the research vessel, we caught a bunch of squid. They eventually died, and it was kind of sad the way most of them them slowly swam around the bucket. When you put your hand in, they would grab it like you could help them get out. There was one squid though, that was in it's own bucket, who was really lively. When I stuck my hand in that bucket, I got bit twice! :squid: I liked looking at the chromatophores through a microscope. The chromatophores were still going for about an hour after death.

On my birthday (I was there on my birthday) we dissected squids, and had calamari for lunch! :birthday: to me!

Also, I dirrected one person I met at Duke T.I.P. to tonmo.com because they wanted to learn about Mesonychoteuthis. I hope he comes to the forums soon.

The whole class was great, and it makes me want to be a marine biologist more than ever!

On vacation:

Nothing ceph related!

In addition, while I was away, two books I ordered came in the mail: "Cephalopods a World Guide" and "Cephalopod Behaviour". I know the world guide is great, but what do people think about "Cephalopod Behaviour"? It was written in 1996 or something, so is the information correct? I'm halfway through it anyway... :roll:

Well, I'm glad to be back on tonmo! I'll post pictures of Duke when I find my cd. Just so you all know, the tonmo community and tonmo.com itself really helped inspire me to study marine biology so: thank you.

Looks like I've got some catching up to do! There are 700- something new threads!:thumbsup:

Joey

sometimes when we pull up squid and the fish have been thrashing about, mantles get separated.... occasionally the chromatophores will still be firing away...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back