[Biology & Species] Nautilus pompilius Genome Determined

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
From jdsupra:

In stark contrast with the octopus genome, the Nautilus genome is ... These distinctions with their coleoid cephalopod cousins provide the possibility ... of the number of putative gene sequences found in octopus and squid genomes.

Continue reading...

Interesting paper... The evolutionary implications are pretty cool to read through. It is still hard to believe that nautiloids and coleoids diverged so long ago! - over 400 million years. Octopus and nautilus are far, far, far, far removed cousins, haha!

I am a little curious as to where the one specimen they used in the paper (why only one?) was actually collected. The coordinates given in the paper do not seem to match up with Nansham Island. The coordinates are much further south. Maybe this is just an error but if there were nautiluses collected from a new spot, that would be very helpful to know. Time to reach out to the authors.

Greg

Interesting paper... The evolutionary implications are pretty cool to read through. It is still hard to believe that nautiloids and coleoids diverged so long ago! - over 400 million years. Octopus and nautilus are far, far, far, far removed cousins, haha!

I am a little curious as to where the one specimen they used in the paper (why only one?) was actually collected. The coordinates given in the paper do not seem to match up with Nansham Island. The coordinates are much further south. Maybe this is just an error but if there were nautiluses collected from a new spot, that would be very helpful to know. Time to reach out to the authors.

Greg
Hi Greg, I'm glad you brought this up, because I hadn't noticed the geographical mismatch! I'm curious too--did you get an answer from the authors?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back