• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus at the Steinhart Aquarium

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Just got word that 9 new Nauts are headed to the Steinhart on Monday 10/23. Very excited. We are going to draw hemolymph on all of them and when the results combe back clear, they go on show. :biggrin2:

skywindsurfer;183058 said:
What is hemolymph, and what are you looking for,..disease?

That is, the circulatory fluid is not returned to the heart through vessels, but instead passes through body spaces (sinuses) surrounding tissue as does our own lymph. Such fluid, instead of being called blood, is given the name hemolymph

and yep!

Will do. I had been thinking about nautilus hemocytes since talking to you and Greg about sampling the hemolymph. I looked and haven't been able to find anything published. I was figuring if I could get samples from people when they draw hemolymph for other purposes I could start compiling some information. They would have to be fixed to be shipped so I can do counts, but not any activity assays.

Where and how would you draw hemolymph? I am not looking for a detailed method but a general concept of how you would draw fluids that are not blood.

Nope. A hemocoel is cavity or series of spaces between the organs. I would suspect that there would not be enough volume to collect from an organ, and I would be terrified to pierce a healthy organ to damage it.

We actually just did the physicals on Wednesday - things sometimes move slow at work (really? A box of cuttlebones still under my desk?). Ended up with only three animals - things sometimes don't arrive the way suppliers say they will.

Did everything you asked Greg. We are thinking of writing it up for Drum and Croaker as a follow up to your last write up. 2% on all of them, and they all ate the day after. Three females to go with my one male. Happy male.

I wish I would to. Lots of crazy at work the last several months, and trying to get a handle on how to not go simply insane has been taking much of my time. Moving the new nauts onto exhibit will help, and I feel like I am starting to see light at the end of many tunnels. I hope!

esquid;183077 said:
how much do you draw from them? I was wondering if you had enough to make some aliquots for me so I could do hemocyte counts from them.

erin

Erin - the consensus is to look at this again after a few months. The amount drawn was very small. I'll email you on Monday.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back