• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Nemo - Nautilus Pompilius

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Since the death of Zilch in March of 2015, I have wanted to keep another Nautilus but did not want to have it fly (again) to get it here. There have been two opportunities that did not pan out. Friday @forever27 (discovering that we live in a similar neck of the woods) notified me that an LSF (Atlanta Aquarium) an hour away has had a naut for over a month that appeared to be in good health. He has been eating regularly (fed daily) on squid and shrimp with an occasional fish. We were able to go see it today (Monday) and decided to add him/her to the family.

Nemo is quite a bit smaller than Zilch and is fully striped so I believe he (unsure of sex) is a juvenile. He took (but only ate 1/3) a large shrimp offered on a bamboo stick several hours after being introduced to the tank and has explored the tank boundaries so I am encouraged that he will acclimate well.

DSCN3819.JPG DSCN3812.JPG DSCN3814.JPG

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
When I checked in on Nemo at midnight with a flashlight and found him almost in the center (height and width) of the aquarium. The 2/3 piece of uneaten shrimp was now half gone and I suspect Nemo ate more of it as the two live shrimp, hermits and conch were not attacking it (they have fully consumed the 3-4 other shrimp that expired over the last year - I have left the dead in the tank since I feed the tank shrimp regularly to keep the few critters and bacteria alive). An abalone (not sure if there are one or two alive in the tank) was out grazing the live rock, not something I often see (when I do see one, it is usually on the tank wall).

As a silly side note, before finding out about Nemo, I ordered earrings, a pinky and anniversary ring with a nautilus design this year as my anniversary present (the ring is a 44-year tradition -- didn't start until year 2 ). I am wearing the pinky but will have to wait 'til next week for the earrings and 6 weeks for the anniversary ring.

forever27

GPO
Registered
I'm so glad you got it! Looking forward to the journal. Hope Rit was good to when you stopped in!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Nice shop. Clean and appears to be very well maintained. Rit was far more pleasant in person. I spent the full amount but got a pack of squid in the deal. When I saw Nemo there was no turning back or serious negotiating :heart:.

forever27

GPO
Registered
Nice shop. Clean and appears to be very well maintained. Rit was far more pleasant in person but I spent the full amount but got a pack of squid in the deal. When I saw Nemo there was no turning back or serious negotiating :heart:.

Yeah, I love that shop and honestly he takes care of repeat customers pretty well. He also sells instant ocean reef crystals 160gal buckets for $45. Moreover, he's ordered me an octopus in the past and only charged me $30!

Getting back on topic, very much looking forward to this journal!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Nemo found yesterday's shrimp this AM and munched a bit more (about 3/4 total). I will offer half a shrimp next time. Tonight I gave him a small squid. I don't think he was hungry but I want to attempt to get him accustomed to a feeding time. He woke up and started partially up the water column when I held the squid (thawed) in the water but never came up to it so I used a plastic grabbing tool and had to place it across his mantle before he decided he was interested. I don't see any remains so I believe he ate it all.

It is interesting that neither of the shrimp, the conch or hermits ate the last of the shrimp offering (tail section but still with meat). It makes me wonder if Nauts secrete something when they gnaw at their food that is unpleasant for other scavengers. @gjbarord ?

I played with the lighting timer today to minimize the white lights. Greg mentioned the he worried my lights were too bright and on too long with Zilch so I am going for ambient most of the day and 1/2 brightness for a few hours in the evening.

I tried the red lights last night and Nemo left the deepest bottom sandy section (the lights are pointed at this part) and rose to the dark back corner above the rocks. This suggests he sees the red lights. Since their eyes are totally different from other cephs I know this is possible. I will try turning them on again tonight to see if he reacts and won't use them if he escapes them again.

DSCN3834.JPG

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
After rewatching one of @gjbarord 's videos, I bought a piece of tuna and offered a slice tonight. He still did not locate the food quickly (he did wake up when he detected it) but took the offering enthusiastically then swam all over the tank with it (happy dance?). After about an hour, I found a large piece of it on the tank floor. Once again, it was about 1/3 eaten. Tomorrow, I will reoffer a smaller piece of the section he did not eat.

I've noticed that his hood seems to have a notch near the shell. I am guessing fish attack. It does not appear to be a new lesion or infected so I am hoping it is an old injury. I suspect the mantle will not grow back like octopus arms. Fortunately, I have not noticed any tentacle damage as I am not sure if the tentacles are self-repairing ( I suspect not).

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@gjbarord I noticed you offering food kabob style in your lab. Since Nemo seems to eat only part of his offering but then hunts later, I will try a similar style to see if he finds it and if he eats more during a 24 hour period. What I don't want to do is overfeed and have him outgrow his shell. Recommendations would be helpful.