my octo just got here !

k0mpresd

GPO
Registered
he/she is so small. :shock:

100_3029.jpg

100_3025.jpg

cool! i'm still waiting for mine. what state are you from? i'm trying to figure out how long mine will take from dan in florida.

k0mpresd

GPO
Registered
thanks ! :smile: i called him yesterday to find out when he mailed and he said monday. so i knew it was coming today.

i got him in the tank. he found a perfect size hole in the first rock he came to. and hes been there ever since. :goodbye:

k0mpresd

GPO
Registered
this little guy can hide. :lol: and he ate at least 2 blue leg hermits last night. so thats a good sign i guess. eating on the first night. :smile:

k0mpresd

GPO
Registered
continuing my monologue. i dropped a hermit crab in front of him today while it looked like he was just sort of watching what was going on. reached out, touched it, and then sort of just sat there. also showed it a krill with my hand. again, just sort of touched it. tried the krill again later on, and again, just sort of touched it and crawled back up in his hole. im thinking tomorrow i go and try to get a small emerald crab or peppermint shrimp at the fish store. because they are the cheapest inverts they have. :roll:

if someone does happen to read my post here, does it sound like hes doing ok ? he ate 2 blue leg hermits the first night, which was weds but hasnt seem to eat anything else. and i really have no idea what gender it is.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It is interesting that you are seeing that much interaction from a merc and it worries me a little about it's age. These are very shy animals and they don't sit out in the open much (Sisturus was very unusual and I raised him from birth). Be sure you have your rocks piled so it can fully hide in the day light. If you can get some shore shrimp and try to stick feed (see Dino's post on how I accomplish this), you may be more successful in getting him/her to eat while you watch. Fiddler crabs are also a food that they have a hard time resisting. You can push the claw of a male into the stick tube and offer it on a stick as well but the octo will have no problem hunting it (unlike the live shore shrimp which are hard for them to catch). I break the claws of the male fiddlers so that they cannot pinch. Some say this is not necessary but once you get pinched you will understand why I don't put them in there with the capability.