my octo just got here !

look who was out and about when i got home from class. :razz:

100_3106.jpg

100_3109.jpg

camera shy. :sad:

100_3110.jpg

thanks. i dont think mine cares for me too much. because any time i come home and its out, i go straight to snapping pictures. and then it hides. :tomato:

Wow! Great developments with District! He seems to be more interactive than my pair.
I think I spoiled mine... They only come out for hand feeding if at all.

not very interactive. she was on the glass towards the pop of the tank when i got home from class. i stuck a finger in, she touched it, and then slowly backed away. i moved my finger closer, she inked, and took off. oops. :tomato: she then proceeded to hide in the corner. so i gave her a shrimp. a little late to the game with my camera. otherwise youd be able to see the shrimp under the webbing. :roll:

100_3146.jpg

HELP ON NEW MERC

I just got my new merc in today!!! but one thing I've noticed while acclimating, is that he likes to wrap his tenticles behind his head and expose his underbelly. He will just sit on his head. Is this ok? Please tell me he'll be alright!:baby:

Ken is awesome. His store ROCKS. He sent extra feeder mithrax crabs and extra everything else in my order.
btw. what is the difference in using blue leds compaired to red leds? i ask this because i have blue leds and i cant find red ones anywhere other than ebay.

Icabod169,
We try to get members to journal their octo keeping experience. To start one about this adventure, click on Forums in the top link menu then on Journals and Photos in the forum listings. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the New Thread button on the left.

It is very helpful to others if you will include the octopuses name and it's species (you will see my current resident - who's original home MUST be Remulak - listed as Beldar - Macropus Complex (?)) If you will make a title similar to this, it will help both you and others find references to your specific octopus as well as to species adventures.

Don't worry about having both kinds of crabs. However, my mercs would not eat hermits at all. That being said I believe GHolland and I know Sedna have had better luck with hermits as mercatoris food. You can count on them eating fiddler crabs (becoming known as the universal octo food) and the mithrax are likely to be eaten but are much more expensive and not taken as quickly as the fiddlers. Paul Sachs caters well to the octo crowd when you need more food or want to try fiddlers. Yeah, Ken Rocks.

Each octo is different in both personality and eating preferences so you will have to experiment. Reporting back is helpful :wink:

I keep my fiddlers in a 2 gallon acrylic tank, 1/2 filled with regular aquarium saltwater and fake rocks sticking up out of the water for them to climb on (necessary). I keep a loose lid on the tank (piece of left over acrylic - to keep them from wandering - a deeper bucket works fine but you must have something for them to get to the surface) and use a pico/nano type filter to help keep the water clean.

You will want to keep your food separate and feed your octo once a day or once every other day. For hand fed treats, most of the mercs will take shore shrimp (freshly killed) from a feeder stick or plastic tweezers. Sedna's takes hermits this way. Look in the journals to find (see, I told you it helps to put the species in the title) our various mercatoris keepers and you should see discussions at the beginning of each thread about eating.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back