[Octopus]: Meet Owen

Owen

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello World! Meet Owen. We have had him in his new house since September 6th.
He is not a very big octopus, we were told he was an O. Aegina but that was by the fish wholesaler. He seems to be diurnal, he is active throughout the day and seems to put himself to bed when you turn the lights off.
He enjoys shrimp, scallop and crabs and seems to only eat if he is hungry.
He is not very shy. He will sit on the glass when I clean the tank and climb on my hand when I reach in.
IMG_2630.JPG
IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
:welcome: Owen! My guess would be closer to one of an animal in the abdopus complex and highly likely O. aculeatus. The arm to mantle ratio looks way off for O. Aegina. Here is a link to some of the Media images of aculeatus to use for comparison. Have you been observing Owen's third right arm (clockwise as you orient your eyes with the octos) for the typical protective curl of a male? In one photo all arms are fully out stretched but the last photo suggests he is keeping it curled.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
:welcome: Owen! Our Journals have been a bit quiet lately; so nice to have a vibrant octopus in the house! :octopus:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Great shot showing both the protective arm curl and the blue/purple sucker tips (a non-defining but notable trait of aculeatus). I added it to the thread on sexing an octopus

Owen

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Not sure if this will work but here is a video of Owen catching a crab

Attachments

• IMG_3372.mov
    9.9 MB · Views: 98

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Great vid!!

Soon we will have a forum upgrade and embedded videos will appear much more naturally. You are also encouraged to upload any pics and vids to our Media Gallery :smile:

Latest Posts