• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Meet Mr. Octopus

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Mr. Octopus arrived on February 23rd from Zyan. He's bigger than Sleipner was, and certainly a bigger eater. I figured I'd let him munch at will on about 10 crabs that were in the tank for a week before removing the remaining crabs and feeding him on a regimen. He decided he'd take all of them instead. I've been feeding him a fiddler a day or so since, and he supplements with snails as he finds necessary (I find the meaty carcasses almost untouched, so maybe he just enjoys extricating them from their shells and throwing them away). He doesn't have a specific name per se, but I've been referring to him as Mr. Octopus.

He's not terribly fond of us yet but isn't really afraid, either. He spends most of his time in his den, but for the last few days has been spending more and more time outside. He'll play tug of war but in a merely exploratory way until he discerns that we're not food and gives in.

Here's a three-minute video I took last night of him gallivanting around the tank. His mantle is about the size of a lime. Dialup users beware.

Google Video - Mr. Octopus out for a stroll...

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Very nice, and may I complement you on your tank also? Nice growth on your rocks !

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
cthulhu77;89898 said:
Very nice, and may I complement you on your tank also? Nice growth on your rocks !
Thanks--I'm a little embarassed because I have some cyanobacteria that you can see towards the end of the video. Otherwise I take a lot of pride in keeping a nice purple color!

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
More of Mr. Octopus

I tried to convince Mr. Octopus to release my right hand by giving him a crab with my left. Unfortunately he can do two things at once (three if you count continually squirting me in the face).

Once I extricated myself I took these two pictures:

When we play tug of war near the surface he doesn't seem to mind having much of him pulled out of the water. Should I be worried about air being trapped in his mantle?

Dan

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
DHyslop;90219 said:
I tried to convince Mr. Octopus to release my right hand by giving him a crab with my left. Unfortunately he can do two things at once (three if you count continually squirting me in the face).
:sagrin: That's part of the fun of bein an octopus :sagrin:

DHyslop;90219 said:
When we play tug of war near the surface he doesn't seem to mind having much of him pulled out of the water. Should I be worried about air being trapped in his mantle?

Dan
In a healthy animal it should be OK but just be careful you don't pull him all the way out. it can be a bit hard on them, also make sure your hands are wet before you touch him, that reduces the chance of skin lesions.

Air in the mantle seems to be more of an issue when it's fine bubbles like from an air line, they don't sem able to deal with it. I would attempt to minimise time out of the water though.

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak