[Octopus]: Margay - O. Burryi

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Wink

I was sitting with Margay this afternoon for some "face" time and she did a couple of interesting things. The first was to come to the front and "walk" half the length of the aquarium using the tractor tread technique. She was still touching rock and glass but the rolling gate of the walk was very clear. I have seen this a couple of times with other octopuses but have never gotten video and did not have the camera out this time so I missed it once again. The other thing she did was to contract her right eye, giving the appearance of a wink. She remained active so I set up the camera and started shooting video. There was too much glare from my porch door windows so I threw towels over the glass (I DID at least have a brilliant idea for future problems with the glass doors). Started the videoing again and then got a dead battery message. Fortunately, I had a charged spare but all the fussing with the camera took away time from observation.

Apparently she enjoyed my frustration as she was quite content to stay out and watch me. She did not come back over to the front again but patience has its virtue. I sat and made as many eye movement faces as normal humans can make and eventually was rewarded with catching the "wink" on film. Unfortunately, the camera angle was not the best but if you view it in HD and full screen, the eye contraction is clear. I have no idea if my face contortions (Neal thinks someone should have videoed that :roll:) brought about the desired action but here is a clip from the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Dogs

At supper time, Margay performed another first. She is very shy with a hand in the tank and reluctant to take food by hand. With some effort I can get her to accept a shrimp but she has ducked down into the LR and I have to touch the shrimp to her suckers. She has no problem with a feeding stick and quickly captures her prey. Neal tried to hand feed tonight and she ducked down behind the rock as usual but quickly popped back up along the back wall so he "threw" it too her. She caught it! :biggrin2:

Our dogs know that when I am at the aquarium with the camera, they have a captive audience (or they are jealous of the attention the fish tank gets). We have seen other octopuses pay close attention when we pet the dogs (but not when the dogs are simply in view and very little attention - but usually a color change - when they are just passing through). Tonight, not once but twice Margay was curious enough to come to the front to check out Bailey (Irish wolfhound) being petted.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The second time, started more in the guise of a hunting venture but you will note she ends up in the same observation corner.

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Great Videos!!! Irish wolfhound!!! I love those dogs. They are massive but so sweat. Glad to see Margay has become so social. Spectacular colors. Since you got her so young you should will have her for a long time.

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Can I ask you what program you are using to edit videos. I have a couple more of Tranny but some are 5 mins of waiting and no one wants to see him sit there with no movement for 5 min of the video to see him pounce his food for 15 seconds

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The video editor I like the best (takes a little getting use to but it has just the right features for hobby video) is VideoPad Video Editor from NCH Software. HOWEVER, it is not the one I am currently using. There is a free copy but it loads a ton of junk and I did not put it on my new machine. I will likely buy it at some future date.

Edit Note: I went to the NCH site after typing the above note and saw they had it on sale for $30 so I bought it. The current free version does not have all the mandatory junk (it does have some options for their other software but lacks the annoying ton of junk required installs I ended up with in my first copy) but the free version is only a trial and will watermark your videos. You can try both to see if you like this one enough to pay for it (sale ends at the end of April).

Edit 2 - you may want to double check the trial version for watermarks. It may only have annoying reminders. Playing with the 3D option now :biggrin2: If you have Red-Cyan glasses, here is the wink video in 3D - best in HD 720

The one I am currently using is Microsoft's Movie Maker. A lot of the simplistic editing is not intuitive. Hint: When you want to mark a begin and end, try using the right click on the mouse.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Missed a great video opportunity tonight. Margay has started coming to the glass more and more when we are near the tank. Tonight Neal opened the top and offered a finger and instead of dashing back to the wall or her rocks spread herself out as big and threatening as she could become and hovered over her rocks (she looked like she was floating but did have part of an arm on the rocks). No attack, no ink but an awesome display. Before I could even think about the camera, she was back on the wall but kept her intimidation posture. She never went into hiding so I think she is beginning to understand that we will not harm her. I have seen it for O. vulgaris in videos but this is a whole new behavior for us in the aquarium.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I shot a lot of video (and made a lot of contorted faces) trying to get a better angle on the "wink" that Margay does with her eyes. This is a poorly spliced clip of the best I managed. She initially would only "wink" the left eye, once again the one away from the camera. I did not realized I eventually captured the motion until I reviewed the videos as I did not see her do it with the right eye.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
One last video today. I missed Margay's floating intimidation display but did capture the, I am big, look when Neal fed her. Sometimes she will take supper from our fingers but she is usually against the wall and needs a little coaxing by touching the shrimp to an out streached arm. Some days she will duck down into her rock and wait until you offer it on a feeding stick (she then immediately grabs it, no coaxing needed). This time she came forward on her own but made herself as big as possible and then blew at Neal's hand to tell him to go away. She proceeded to eat in plain view.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Lots-o-ink

Margay was walking along the top of the front of the aquarium (not something we often see) so Neal wondered if she was inviting us to come to her tank. She did continued near the surface when he went to the tank and opened the top. Normally, she will go to the rocks immediately when the top is opened since she didn't he very, very gently and slowly stroked her mantle. Once she realized what was happening she inked up a storm and flew to the back corner. She inked both types of ink, the thick settled on the substrate and was easy to slurp up but the thin, even after 10 gallons of water change took over night to clear. Fortunately, we did not have to swap out her tank. She was shy all the next day but started coming out against the back wall the next afternoon and willingly takes food from a stick. I think she will be back to normal in a day or so.