• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mantis Shrimp vs. Blue Ring *Incredible Video*

Status
Not open for further replies.

aximbigfan

GPO
Registered
the whole time i was thinking "go little octo jet off in to your den where the mean ol stomeopod cant get you!!!!"

chris

Fini

Wonderpus
Registered
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Fini;78291 said:
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.

Yeah, although some kind of ant (trap-jaw ant?) has mandibles that just beat out the mantis shrimp for "fastest strike in an animal":
http://www.physorg.com/news75469635.html

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
When dealing with a Kaiju-like "battle of the invertebrates", I have to root for the ceph. I mean, a squilla is a freakin' bug! D**ned arthropods! Shrimp = food. Octo = companion. Next time, try pitting more equally-sized combatants! That was sooo not fair. If it has an exoskeleton, it's the enemy.

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
It wasn't my experiment. And it wasn't intended to be a fair fight, or a fight at all. It was a test for the Stomatopod's resistance to the Blue Rings venom.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Oh, I surely recognize the scientific validity of the experiment, no problem there, it's just that I always root for the ceph. When we're gone I want to see them attain supremacy over this planet. It always should have belonged to them. After all, Cthulhu planted them here.

And, much as I'd like a squilla of my own to pet and cuddle - particularly if it's a really big one - man, they're just nasty critters. Cool-looking, though.

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Yeah, I understand. I was rooting fot the octopus also, but he didn't stand a chance. It would be pretty cool to see a fair fight with an octo and a Stomatopod

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
erich orser;78346 said:
Oh, I surely recognize the scientific validity of the experiment, no problem there.

But there was a size variable introduced. A better design would be to have similar sized animals. From that tape they still don't know if squilla is immune to the toxin because the octopus couldn't get a bite in!

I wonder if the test was repeated with different sized animals and what ethics approval was required. We'd have to jump through hoops to be allowed to do that. BTW our animal protection act would recognise the octopus as an animal but not the squilla :lol:

J

Status
Not open for further replies.