• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mantis Shrimp vs. Blue Ring *Incredible Video*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
10,919
Wow, it looks like Mr. Shrimp won. That blue ring took quite a beating.
 
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
4,935
It seems like the stomatopod avoided the beak of the blue ring. When I checked Reef Central, the thread from Dr. Caldwell said that the mantis shrimp ate the blue ring :goofysca: .
 

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
111
cuttlegirl;78256 said:
It seems like the stomatopod avoided the beak of the blue ring. When I checked Reef Central, the thread from Dr. Caldwell said that the mantis shrimp ate the blue ring :goofysca: .

Oh, so he ate everything BUT the beak to avoid the toxins! Wow, that is really, pretty amazing!

EDIT: I just watched the video again, and everytime it gives a chill! I don't know why, but that mantis attacking the Octo just send a chill down my spine.
 
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
4,935
binaryterror;78258 said:
Oh, so he ate everything BUT the beak to avoid the toxins! Wow, that is really, pretty amazing!

I meant while he was fighting the octopus he seemed to avoid the beak. He would have to not eat the whole salivary gland to avoid the poison.

I need to do some more research...
 

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
2,702
seeing as how the squilla we normally catch are 4-5in, i went looking to see how big the get....

on one site i ran across this:
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pest/catch.htm

# Use competing animals to control or remove the mantis shrimp. This is much more troublesome and less reliable than using traps, and may involve the temporary removal of other inhabitants out of the container. Unless the competing creature is significantly larger than the mantis shrimp, there's every chance that you're going to lose it instead. These are not recommended methods for mantis shrimp removal.
...
2. Octopuses- remove potential prey, then introduce borrowed, rented, or bought octopus into tank. Make sure there are no relatively large openings or the thing will easily escape and wander around your kitchen at night in search of food. The size thing goes here as well. Large mantis shrimps will gladly eat smaller octopi.
...
 

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
10,919
cuttlegirl;78263 said:
I meant while he was fighting the octopus he seemed to avoid the beak. He would have to not eat the whole salivary gland to avoid the poison.

I need to do some more research...
I noticed the same thing; it appeared the mantis was trying to flip the octo so it was beak-down...
 

aximbigfan

GPO
Registered
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
167
the whole time i was thinking "go little octo jet off in to your den where the mean ol stomeopod cant get you!!!!"


chris
 

Fini

Wonderpus
Registered
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
219
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,884
Fini;78291 said:
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.

Yeah, although some kind of ant (trap-jaw ant?) has mandibles that just beat out the mantis shrimp for "fastest strike in an animal":
http://www.physorg.com/news75469635.html
 

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,632
When dealing with a Kaiju-like "battle of the invertebrates", I have to root for the ceph. I mean, a squilla is a freakin' bug! D**ned arthropods! Shrimp = food. Octo = companion. Next time, try pitting more equally-sized combatants! That was sooo not fair. If it has an exoskeleton, it's the enemy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top