• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Making choices for school.

Hello There, I am the annoying guy on the Net. I'm taking my GCSE (some sort of public test when ur going secondary school) :grad: subject options. I want to become a marine biologists but don't know what subjects I need. :?: So, can anyone help me?
Hope you moderaters won't get angry for going off topic but I don't know which is related to my topic.

Hello :biggrin2:

(hope I don't misunderstand your question :?)
Marine biology is a wide area (I'm a marbio student myself) and the knowledge you need to bring with you depends on your later area of interest. If you want to do marine zoology or botany, the subjects I'd recommend are biology and chemistry.
In contrast, if you prefer to do oceanography stuff later, math, physics and geography may be a good choice ...

Not sure if that helps :|

Cheers,
TK

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Welcome to Tonmo, and glad you found us!
Don't worry about going off topic...we do it quite a lot.
greg

Ahh..Arghhh

Um...I think that I will go into something that involves jellyfush are octopus/squid. perhaps be the next Steve O'Shea. Haha :oshea:
So, cya! I love good comments! Thanks for all your help!

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
i thought very long and seriously about a career in it but decided to keep it as just a very involved hobby!!

in australia you need chem or physics biology is recomended (which means you will learn it in 4 weeks if you didnt over 2 years) maths b i usually required (not core but advanced that is for you us guys) and then whatever you want - marine biologist is very broad and a career path isnt necessarily referring to picking an animal but more picking a field -

oceanography
botany
environmental protection
propogation
water chemistry etc

look into it a bit futher - some people like steve oshea get lucky and get squids etc but i assure you they all work VERY hard and are very personally and financially involved to get where they are with lots of personal rewards but little financial help!!

good luck - not being a marine bio myself id be interested in some other peoples coments too!!!

mostly reiterating others' suggestions :smile:

(mostly reiterating others): marine biology; microbiology; zoology; oceanography; orgo (organic chem); ecology; maths; stats. do an internship if you can. avoid courses with names like 'Land Shark 101'. they will be from the drama dept and led by a professor named Akroyd..=)

gl.. a.f.

perhaps someone should tell me which subject would involve sea creatures.
Thanks!

P.S: I got my self a box jelly-fish. It arrived in a tub from Fed-ex. What should I do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak