Making choices for school.

Don't let your mom push you into French courses unless you really want to study French - except for reading some menus, it won't help you. (Yes, I took French courses and used to be Officially Bilingual.)

Nancy

Ok...

So, what if I took frnech to make my mom happy, she doesn't mind if I fail you know, I must admit, I'm a sucker for french foods.
What if I have either
1) French
2) Food Tech. ( Cooking )
3) Design tech ( crafting)
4) Textiles ( sewing) ( I hate this one)

Steve O'Shea said:
Now why can't you do something like:
1) Marine invertebrate systematics
2) Biogeography
3) Terrestrial Ecology
4) Marine Ecology
5) Oceanography
6) Paleontology
7) Aquaculture
8) Conservation Ecology
9) Don't Remember
10) Directed Studies [double-dose of don't remember]

They just don't have curricula like they used to!

Uh, Steve.... he is just in high school... :razz:

And I STILL argue one course in philosophy, preferrably logic... :mrgreen:

chrono_war01 said:
So, what if I took frnech to make my mom happy, she doesn't mind if I fail you know, I must admit, I'm a sucker for french foods.

Knowledge of French doesn't make French food taste better. Chances are the waiter at that French restaurant isn't French and wouldn't understand your order if you were to pronounce the words correctly. French is a hard language to learn, so much more than English that i'd rather speak English than French. Others languages are cool but if you're not into it, you'll be wasting your time... and your teacher's :wink: I would know :lol:

TPOTH
--French in exile

Hey CW 01

Sewing isn't so silly!!! At least then you can sew your own nets! I had to teach a few of our guys how to do blanket stitch etc for making/repairing our nets!

As for french...........unless you really want to do it I'd forget it. It's nice to keep Mum happy but it's your life and your education and unltimately you need to do what will work for you! As for not minding if you fail.....perhaps not but it looks TERRIBLE on your resume!

J

Darn

Thanks for making me not learn French...I am very happy now! More info on Food. Tech. You spend 3 months writing reports, evaluation, timtables...etc. and then cook as meal, WTF!(Water Tank's Full) That is very silly as nobody will do that in real life. Same goes with sewing, you spend about 3 months preparing on graphs, tables, evautaion, testing frabic...etc. Then you sew a peice of cloth...That's dumb :roll:

chrono_war01 said:
Thanks for making me not learn French...I am very happy now! More info on Food. Tech. You spend 3 months writing reports, evaluation, timtables...etc. and then cook as meal, WTF!(Water Tank's Full) That is very silly as nobody will do that in real life. Same goes with sewing, you spend about 3 months preparing on graphs, tables, evautaion, testing frabic...etc. Then you sew a peice of cloth...That's dumb :roll:

:lol:

At least you get the choice :wink:
Mmmmm cooking or sewing...? :confused:

TPOTH

You could say that's a choice, but it sounds like do you want to be shot or do you want to be hanged? There are both evil little subjects guided by evil little teachers that are putting a stop on a certain nosense called joy, happiness. Let's all hope Bush won't declare war on my skool since there is a evil regime there oppresing freedom.... :lol:

my boyfriend took four years of french in high school... and another year or two in college...he still hates it and can't speak it.

Latin is so where it's at... i took a double dose of latin and german in high school. great for an aspiring biologist!

A tremendous amount of excellent literature is published in German (I wish I culd read it); a fantastic amount in Russian; some great stuff in French (now mostly translated).

Latin ... an understanding of this dead language (and Greek) would do you very well indeed. These are the languages of nomenclature. Alas, I speak only New Zealand, Australian, American and British, and none of them very well.

FS, you're most lucky!

nomenclature HUH? what's that?! My over loaded brain cannot handle such big words.

I am going to be the next Donald Trump and I'm going to build an empire!!!! ( Too much Rich Dad Poor Dad books and a over large ego)

Steve O'Shea said:
some great stuff in French (now mostly translated).
albeit badly... cuz usually translators are not scientists and vice versa

Latin ... an understanding of this dead language (and Greek) would do you very well indeed. These are the languages of nomenclature.
Agreed. Such understanding goes a long way toward remembering what's what.
Alas, I speak only New Zealand, Australian, American and British, and none of them very well.
Agreed.
:goofysca:
*runs for cover*

TPOTH

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back