Making choices for school.

don't understand the poll...of course, none of us would really think of you as being an idiot, and we depend on everyone here to relate the truth, so we can all learn, so I hope that it is all true...

"you know how to whistle, don't you? Just put your lips together and...blow."
Mae West

atticus_finch said:
chrono_war01 said:
another off topic Question..you think I should ask her out?
only if she has eight arms, a beak and can whistle dixie. :0)

No dumb dumb. A human girl. Maybe a picture of the girl. would help you remind yourself what a human is. The only thing I want to do to a octo is keep it as a pet
I just released some common octos into the sea in HK. Size of a um... dunno a teacup for the body for perhaps? Fish food or not, it still is saved from a grisly death of becoming food for people. Yeah! 5 octo, 5 sharks, and no less than 15 crabs saved!

Chrono war wrote:
"No dumb dumb. A human girl. Maybe a picture of the girl. would help you remind yourself what a human is. The only thing I want to do to a octo is keep it as a pet "

My advice is, no, do not ask the human girl out. You should play more dungeons and dragons .:biggrin2:

:shock:

How to become a :grad: in 8 easy steps:
1) Stay away from television
2) Read articles in journals, not from the web (except TONMO, TOL and CEPHBASE of course)
3) Trust what you see with your own eyes - don't ever rely on what others tell you
4) Forget about ever having a social life
5) Push your mind until you think the brain will explode, and then push it some more!
6) ...forget about ever having a social life!!!
7) Start now ... don't wait for the coursework to cover something, regardless of topic; know what the course is all about and stay 3 steps ahead
... and 8 ... forget about ever having a social life!

:grad: :shock:
I'm um.. just 14....so, forgeting having a social life?! Hell, that's hard. You have nothing to do in HK. By the way, do Gaint Squid live in HK waters?
And I'm already 'The Loner' or 'Fish Lover' in school. Even the teachers are annoyed of me, so there. :bonk:

Piggybacking on what Steve O said, I would also like to add...

MAKE SURE YOU ARE ENJOYING YOURSELF IF SCHOOL!!

I cannot stress this enough. Sure, college is hard, and apathetic students and dimwit, student-hating instructors can make life hell, but make sure you want to follow down that path. Yes, its stressful, but if you don't have any fun in what you are learning, or if the path to academia is not giving you any sense of fulfillment, then you should consider another way.

Also, I have to disagree with Steve - Avoid BAD television. I agree with Edward R. Murrow's famous quote about TV; "This instrument can teach." Sure, the U.S. airwaves are inundated with crap, but there are some redeeming shows. Just don't let it run your life.

Also, I would suggest at LEAST one course in philosophy, preferrably Logic. I would also recommend Ernst Mayr's The Growth of Biological Thought as required reading.

Oh, and Dr. O'Shea hit the nail right on the head: JOURNALS! Read articles in established journals and learn to write them as well.

Oh, and as far as the 'hot' girl is concerned... Go for it. You only live once. I would say enjoy being 14 as long as you're there.

Sushi and Sake (for everyone except you, since you're under-age :razz: )

John

Darn

Darn, but I like Sake!

So, my mom is pushing me to learn French! And I hate the subject, so far I've chosen,
1) Drama
2) Geography
3) Chinese
4) Economics
5) English Literature (as in Ye Old Englishe)
5) Englsih Culture (As in "Oh bloody hell, it's time for tea")
6) Science
8) Maths
9) Don't remember
10) Directed Studies (Free studying period)

chrono_war01 said:
..... so far I've chosen,
1) Drama
2) Geography
3) Chinese
4) Economics
5) English Literature (as in Ye Old Englishe)
5) Englsih Culture (As in "Oh bloody hell, it's time for tea")
6) Science
8) Maths
9) Don't remember
10) Directed Studies (Free studying period)

Now why can't you do something like:
1) Marine invertebrate systematics
2) Biogeography
3) Terrestrial Ecology
4) Marine Ecology
5) Oceanography
6) Paleontology
7) Aquaculture
8) Conservation Ecology
9) Don't Remember
10) Directed Studies [double-dose of don't remember]

They just don't have curricula like they used to!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back