• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Lighting for tank?

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
I am thinking that my new octopus OCTAVIA is possibly nocturnal. I am wondering if alternate types of lighting could entice a nocturnal octo to come out. For instance, blue LED lighting I have heard be recommended for freshwater night owls (such as plecos), but I have heard nancy say to use a red tinted flashlight when shining a flashlight at an octopus. Any thoughts are welcome, experiences even more so!

Robert

Red leds will let her come out without knowing you can see her. She can't perceive the red light. Moonlights in other colors that might simulate real moonlight - I don't know.

Nancy

try red lights since red in water seems to fade quickly and some aninmals can't really see it, therefore some red animals under the water look brownish or black. Moon light sounds good. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back