Just acquired a Euprymna scolopes

also it's been about 8 day's since i've had him, don't you think he would have adjusted~adapted to the relocation (midsized tank), he should be acting out, going wild like "pinky" (my o.vulgaris), trying to escape or something, I don't know, what does his species (Sepiolidae) usually do, act like, etc.Haven't really found much info from my LFS.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
You have more of a nocturnal species there and also the fact that its a young adult makes it harder... baby bimacs can take a couple of months and baby cuttlefish about the same... at least it is eating now tho

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
have you seen any bioluminescence at all?

Also, get posting plenty pics !!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

Colin said:
have you seen any bioluminescence at all?

Also, get posting plenty pics !!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
haven't seen any bioluminescence, biologist's say it happen's after a few week's in captivity, i'll prove em wrong, he'll be feeling comfy in a week or so, pic's on the double, need film, black and white. :biggrin2: ,

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
im sure that would be really impresive to see happen in a tank...

Are you planning on getting more of them?

Colin said:
im sure that would be really impresive to see happen in a tank...

Are you planning on getting more of them?

yeah, i'm planning on getting another that is not fully matured as the one I have now, i really want to get another one, they are really wonderful ceph's, hopefully i can get another type of ceph some time soon, also i wonder if they breed in captivity, i haven't heard anything about it, maybe it will be succesful. :biggrin2:
also someone pm'ed me saying if i'm in hawaii, well i'm not , live in the ol' u.s. :smile:

New's has been made, clearly i saw what many of you will hopefully see some day, as many scienist's have examined their symbiotic bacteria, they have been able to see the bioluminesce in action, now I have witnessed the bioluminesce, I can't stress to you all how fascinating it is to see no'r can I tell you that I cannot take flash photos of the critter, It will be a frightening show, being a extremely cute ceph and being able to "glow" is what attracted me to it at first, now if you care to buy one just get one from nrcc.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Unfortunately, people cannot just get one from the NRCC. The NRCC restricts the distribution of its animals:

(quote from website)
Please understand that the NRCC is first and foremost a university based research facility supported by National and State agencies to facilitate research and education efforts using cephalopod molluscs. Because of this we can supply live squids, cuttlefishes, octopuses and chambered Nautilus ONLY to bona-fide researchers officially affiliated with either Public or Private Institutions of Education or Research, educators and teachers at any level via their affiliated institution and Public Aquariums fulfilling their charters for public education. Regrettably, we cannot provide animals to the private sector targeting the home aquarium market. Thank you for your understanding.

So, most of us will not be getting our cephs from there.

Nancy

Latest Posts