• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Is this octopus video real?

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Yes, it is. Stunning, ain't it? I think the video's originally from Roger Hanlon, and is (or was) available at CephBase in a higher resolution...

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Euprymna said:
it's when you see this that you realize how advanced and amazing these animals are!

actually it's when you're fishing them out of the ^%#&%[email protected] drains and trying to figure out how they got out of their totally sealed tank the &%#%*# first place! :mad:

J

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
That was one of the reasons many people thought it was fake. :biggrin2:

Apparantly he had been following it, and watched it stop before he started the video. He then scared it on purpose. I love that video haha so cool.

This video was in a old thread and the number of so called experts (on the original site) who claimed to see the photoshop artifacts was amazing. The color change ability of cephs is so startling and so outside our land lubber experience that it seems fake.

I got into a heated debate the other day with my drummer who claimed the rippling effects on a group of humbolts was due to sunlight through water instead of the squid changing color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak