Introducing fish to cycled tank before octopus...

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I just wanted to clarify, durnig the second cycle (and until I get my brittle), how much is overfeeding? How much a day should I feed? I don't want ammonia to get to strong...

Speaking of ammonia...what is a safe level during the second cycle? Still doing water changes every week at the moment.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
You should not see ammonia or nitrite again. It will be created but you will be feeding the bacteria as it grows. Quantity is a trial and error, you should not have uneaten food but should feed as much as your critters will consume.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Hmm, OK. So far shrimp I've been feeding is not all consumed, even after a day, and don't want to leave it in unless it leads to ammonia.

I guess the experimentation continues in seeing how much food is the right amount to feed.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
How long can food be left in the tank and considered uneaten? Feeding a shrimp a day and removing uneaten parts 24 hours later at the moment.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I would suggest about half that time, ie putting it in at night and retrieving leftovers in the AM or visa versa, particularly with shrimp. Once you have your primary residence, only a few hours if you can find the waste but often shells are not so easily discovered.