• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Interesting Mated Octopus on eBay

:shock: Who wants to spend $150 for two octopus who have a few weeks left? I guess it is good that the seller is being honest about the current living conditions.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
If they are indeed bimacs and indeed are preparing to lay eggs, it would be strongly worth considering. I think that Z might be going off to college so who knows if we'll have another generation anytime soon?

First, just by looking at the pics I would say they are bimacs. Second, it's not eazy to sex animals although not impossible. Third, how does he know they have mated? There is no way to tell if two animals have mated 100% until they lay fertile eggs.

DrBatty

GPO
Registered
They sure look like Bimacs....
Sounds like a cool endeavor....but if he's shipping them any time soon, there's no telling whether she already laid the eggs or not....IF the eggs are even fertile. Not to mention the stress on the already old octos....could be a recipe for a bad situation.

Or the effect of living in a 30 gallon tank with a non-functioning protein skimmer... Even if the eggs are fertile, if water quality is poor, it will affect development of the embryos.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak