Inky - Octopus vulgaris?

Lotte

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hiya everyone,

I work in a reptile and aquatics shop here in Manchester, three weeks ago we finally ventured to buy an octopus as a display animal :biggrin2: I've been pestering for years so I'm mighty pleased about it

While doing as much research as I possibly could I found myself more often than not here at Tonmo.com and I have to say it's a truly brilliant site for a cephalophile such as myself :razz:

Well anyway, i really just wanted to show off some of the lovely pictures and to ask if anyone was certain of it's species, not that I hold out much hope! I'm quite sure that it is most likely to be Octopus vulgaris but I need someone to tell me the finer points of what you would use to distinguish between species

Thanks for looking, Lotte*** :cool2:

octo3.jpg

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Lotte,

First of all, welcome to the Tonmo community!

Your little octo there is certainly not camera-shy - beautiful pics! There are a number of North American octopus-keepers who ought to be waking and logging-on any time now, and they'll be able to answer your question more knowledgeably than I can. Beautiful creature!

Erich

WOW !!
Great pics.
Sorry I don't know what octo you have but someone will chime in real soon.
I just wanted to know how long you had that octo at the shop till it was coming out like that and what camera you used to get those great pictures. I get my bimac from octopets today and I think I am going to be a snap-shot fool.
Thanks
Chip

Lotte

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hiya guys and thanks! :biggrin2:

Inky is about 12" from mantle to the end of his arms, I couldnt tell you how old it is, all I know is we got him from The Marine Company. We've had it for 3 weeks now and although I personally havent seen it eat I know it loves cockle, whitebait and prawns according to my colleagues :wink: He's seemingly well trained already, when a human hand approaches the tank, even just to clean up or polish the glass, out he comes for a good look around!

My camera is a Fujifinepix S7000 and I am a rather obsessive photographer :lol: I'm just glad you guys like my pictures, Inky is such a fabulous subject to photograph!!!

Lotte***

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Manchester UK?

If so, TMC can sometime be good, or bad with their ID's.

If Colin has a look at this post he will be able to tell you the most common imports they receive.

Latest Posts