• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Happy Darwin Day!

How would you cater a Darwin celebration? Would you try to eat more evolved plants and animals? No shark, alligator or palm hearts tonight? What is the most evolved edible plant? I don't want to cook an octopus, but I could cook a squid. Is GM more evolved or less, or disqualified due to human interference? Whatever the meal, we won't lack for (unevolved? ridiculous?) conversation.

Melissa

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Does selective breeding over thousands of years/generations count as GM? How about we start off with the "least evolved" animals, in the spirit of "survival of the fittest" and all that? (Archaea: :yuck:) Maybe we could go for endangered species and turn our feast into a great big extinction event, thus clearing out a few niches for some new critters to adapt into. It'd be sort of an experiment. A tasty experiment...

(Didn't WK propose something like that once?)

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
I should have mentioned this site at the beginning of the thread: EvoWiki. This is a great place to get ammunition to lob at creationists or to answer a number of questions that you might have about the state of knowledge on the subject of evolution. Visit it soon, before the Bush administration makes descent with modification unconstitutional (They might not. That was just a theory.)

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
In celebration, I had a lovely argument with our waiter last night up in Sedona about creation...ended up ordering a Holothurian steak (which left him speechless). We did tip well, though, and the other diners were somewhat amused...
greg

p.s. you have to remember, I do not believe in creationism OR evolution...devil's advocate, I.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Paradigm shift theory...I just love all those strings!!!!!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak