• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Giant Squid?????

jm

Hatchling
Registered
Can anybody help me identify this squid?

It was found beached in Queen charlotte's island

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hmmmmm. What a find; I hope you placed it in the back of your van and raced to the nearest cool store/freezer! I'd give you US$5000 for that!! It looks like an absolute stunner.

I don't know the location at all, but it's got that Moroteuthis robusta look to it.

OctopusV

GPO
Registered
Oh, and by the way, Queen Charlotte's Island is in good old Canada. If I'm not mistaken.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Oh goodness, that is awesome! Thankyou for posting the image.

Did you measure the squid? Any idea of length? Surely this is Moroteuthis (Jean, where are you?)

Queen Charlotte's Island is also a good source of ammonites. Where did you hide the shell? :wink:

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
well I'm with Steve.....looks Moroteuthis robustaish That red colour!!! and it looks as if it has some calcareous placks beneath the skin on the mantle!

J

jm

Hatchling
Registered
Thank you very much for all the information about the squid.
Phil, The lenght was between 5-6 feet, we didn't mesure it!!!

The picture was actually taken by Kathy Johnson

Thank you !

This website ROCKS!!!!!!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annainbrooklyn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean