• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

From the Vault

Emily182

Cuttlefish
Registered
Wow your finds look great. It amazes me how you can identify the species. Ammonites and some nautiloids all look the same to me, except for those crazy heteromorphs.

By the way... 1972??!! You have been fossil hunting for a long time haven't you?

baldtankman

Wonderpus
Registered
Architeuthoceras;85538 said:
With things slow in the fossils and history forum I will start posting some pics of things in my collection.

First is a crushed shell of Stenolobulites sinuosus from the Permian Meade Peak Member of the Phosphoria Formation. Also what was referred to Cornaptychus back in 1964, is it a Jaw Operculum or Bivalve?

:smile:
The bi-valve looks remarkable like a freshwater mussel. I have seen many form the South Island of NZ

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
baldtankman;128774 said:
The bi-valve looks remarkable like a freshwater mussel. I have seen many form the South Island of NZ
According to the geologists, the Meade Peak Member is a very deep marine deposit. The ?bivalves, like all the ammonoids, are completely flattened, with little sign of breakage they were probably flat to start with. Still they look alot like the clams we used to find around here.:smile:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandro

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak