• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

female or male

dude

Banned
Banned
I am new to tonmo I was wanting to know how you sex a octo :sun::sun::boat::tomato::tomato::tomato:

3rd right arm. If it's the end is the same as the rest, female. If it's got a different end (no suckers, almost flat or blunt), it's called a hectocotylus, and the octo is a male.

It is hard to be sure until you see eggs or not, but males have a Hectocotylus, which is what they use to transfer sperm to a female. It is typically the 3rd right arm of the octo. The octopus will usually keep the end of his Hectocotylus coiled at all times to protect the tip which is where the opening to transfer sperm is. There are other features that could distinguish it (depends on species the octo could have any or none of these) that include larger suckers and that arm being a little shorter than the others.

Edit: Grrr... Animal Mother beat me to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak