• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Cycling question

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Not really. Look at it as a positive thing - you're getting used to taking care of your tank, you're building up your supply of amphipods for your little octopus and creating a safe home for him.

Nancy

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Whatever you do, don't be swayed by products saying that they can "cycle the tank in ______________ weeks", etc. It is a bunch of hogwash. 3 months will go by so fast, and it will be a great time to start your octo tank.

greg

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
binaryterror said:
Ok, thanks alot! What if for some reason, I dont get an pods? Is that bad?

Er...what? Oh, I get you...you mean amphipods ! They will hitchhike over on your live rock, no worries there.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Your little octopus will appreciate having such a convenient snack in the tank. They must be pretty tasty because my bimac hunted for them even after she had eaten every amphipod in the tank (and I had hundreds of them). I felt sorry for her and added some more.

And the small things in your tank can be fun to watch, too. I love putting in small flakes and watching the amphipods come out to find a flake and hurry back to their holes. Lots of activity!

Nancy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustyn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak