• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

cuttlefish eggs

After moving my 55 gallon (looooooooooong story)... I discovered that my girl cuttle has laid eggs. They are inflated, so they may actually be viable. Here are my questions... Don't they seem a little young to be having babies (they are about 4-5 months old). Should I remove them from the rockwork in the tank and place them in a net breeder? And lastly, how long until they hatch? When do I need to start buying more mysids :bonk: .

I am kind of sad because it means I don't have too much longer with Scrunchy, Cuddly and Baby A.

cuttlegirl;79892 said:
After moving my 55 gallon (looooooooooong story)... I discovered that my girl cuttle has laid eggs. They are inflated, so they may actually be viable. Here are my questions... Don't they seem a little young to be having babies (they are about 4-5 months old). Should I remove them from the rockwork in the tank and place them in a net breeder? And lastly, how long until they hatch? When do I need to start buying more mysids :bonk: .

I am kind of sad because it means I don't have too much longer with Scrunchy, Cuddly and Baby A.
Its not to young for her. I personally would remove the eggs and place in a net breeder just make sure they get good water flow. Eggs on average hatch in 3 weeks but it could take longer or less depending on water temp.

Here are a picture of the eggs, the tank is still a little cloudy from the move... Also, I caught Baby A cheating with Scrunchy... oh well, I guess if you are a cuttlefish, any boy will do (at least in Baby A's case, she only has two choices...).

Baby A is on the left, Scrunchy on the right. The mating lasted about 10 seconds, I saw Scrunchy withdrawing his hectocotylus :oops: .

There are about eight eggs in this clutch, they look pretty good, inflated and round.

Attachments

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
GREAT!

I wouldn't move them till they blow up a bunch more.
There is disucssion that they do better in the dark.

This is the hard part - hoping they will be viable!

The big kids are still eating well (a little too well... I think I spend more on food for them than I do my own human kids...). I counted about 13 eggs, more than I want to raise, but all of them may not survive.

I just saw maternal care by Baby A - she went over to the eggs and blew water on them... :biggrin2: what a good mom! I am going to watch the eggs closely, but leave them where they are, they get a good flow over them and I figure Baby A knows what she is doing...

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak