Cuttlefish Care - Getting Started

Cyrus

Blue Ring
Registered
about my cuttle pics

Hi Steve and Colin, I tried to attach photos of my cuttles but didn't work this time. I shall post em next time. They are not of high quality anyway (old photos reproduced using digital camera). :heee:

I am in the process of setting up my own aquatic wharehouse, going to be 99.9% marine stuff, :talker: . There will be 1 x ~600 gallons (9 tanks system), 2 x ~300 gallons (twin tanks systems), 1 small shark pool (~500 gallons) for baby sharks, perhaps plus up to 10 seperate tanks (from 70 g to 100+ g). All DIY stuff, . There are going to be lots of fishtanks, stands, filter boxes, big skimmers, fluidised filter columns to construct plus lots of PVC pipes, lots of glass and lots of acrylic and more....... :jester: .

Once I get em filled (another couple of months), I shall post my new high quality pictures of captive cephs (wild-caught, or wild-abducted and all without consent, :frown: :oops: ) , hopefully.

by the way, did you read the article on the guy supposedly harassed (or attacked or whatever) by giant squid. For a cephlomaniac like me, that wasn't a bad way to go at all. I mean, how often do you see a live giant squid in action, ya just can't complain. These days, it a lot easier to be an astronaut than to be able to see a live super-oversized squid (so-called Giant Squid) in action :lol: .If you let me choose between being the 1st group of settlers to colonise Mars and being the 1st human to see a live Giant Squid in action, I don't even have to think about it :talker: .

Cyrus

Blue Ring
Registered
On the trail of the Giant Squid

Hi Steve,

I am not sure whether you are back or not. I have posted another message (dated Mar 9, right after you posted your last message in this column).

I have been watching 'On the trail on the Giant Squid' on Discovery Channel. While I enjoyed it immensely, I was wondering how long ago the documentary was made. Also, what progress in terms of the techniques of collection, transportation and keeping baby Architeuthis was made since then.

I paid particular attention to the way the baby Architeuthis was handled after the tow. This includes sorting, screening and identifying the baby Giant Squid (in presumably small glass jars), subsequent observation and filming in the plexiglas container and eventually, the transfer of the baby Architeuthis into the specially designed circular temporary holding tank. I have also noted the behaviour of the baby Architeuthis in the plexiglas container.

Regretably, based on my experience in collecting, handling, transportation and keeping delicate marine animals alive, I have predicted the death of most, if not all, of the baby Architeuthis on arrival at port before I saw what happened at the end of the documentary.

I wish you have better luck since then and I would really like to talk to you more about the handling and care of the baby Architeuthis.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Cyrus....

Steve is normally very busy and doesnt always get the chance to read all forums, in fact when you started posting i sent steve a PM to make sure he checked the forum's thread and seen your squid etc...

Best bet is to maybe send him a PM and point him to this thread, just to make it a bit easier, there are so many posts made these days its hard to keep up :smile:

Cheers
Colin

Cyrus

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi Colin,

Thanks for all that, :smile: . Seems like you yourself have been a bit busy for quite a while too.

By the way, did you read my two messages (both dated Mar 9, one in this column and one in the Hiya cephalomaniac column) to you and Steve? :lol:

Ta

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
hmmm possibly not... I'm sorry if i miss things but in real life I am up to my neck in it and getting busier.. sometimes when i log on there there may be over 100 posts to sort through as well as all the emails i get, but i'll check out your posts... thanks
Colin

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Re: about my cuttle pics

Cyrus said:
I am in the process of setting up my own aquatic wharehouse, going to be 99.9% marine stuff, :talker: . There will be 1 x ~600 gallons (9 tanks system), 2 x ~300 gallons (twin tanks systems), 1 small shark pool (~500 gallons) for baby sharks, perhaps plus up to 10 seperate tanks (from 70 g to 100+ g). All DIY stuff, . There are going to be lots of fishtanks, stands, filter boxes, big skimmers, fluidised filter columns to construct plus lots of PVC pipes, lots of glass and lots of acrylic and more....... :jester: . ]

Ah ah, you need to find an old thread of mine called 800 tanks. Last year about this time i was just finishing a project which was to equip a wholesaler/importer/exporter in scotland with an entire new set up which was 800 tanks (obviously :bonk: ) and 30 ponds... Took about 6 months total work to cut, build, drill tanks and then set up filters.. if anything i learned never to do it again LOLOL :lol:

Cyrus

Blue Ring
Registered
:jester: :jester: :jester:

Excellent stuff but too bad, you are not doing it for yourself and they are for goldfish and presumably F/W fishes. What a waste for your 6 months hard work. If the entire facility is for marine stuff like cephalopods, stomatopods, baby oceanic fishes (spanish mackerels, dolphinfish, blackmarlin, tunas, bonitos.......mola lola), baby Architeuthis...... and ... other deep sea monsters....

Just imagine that.........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
...yeah millions of stuff and no-one buying it!!! THAT would be a waste of 6 months!

:jester: wouldnt want to work in the aquatic trade again.... not for a seriously long time anyway when the whole thing gets its arse into gear and sorts itself out!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
That's a tricky one as it changes from area to area... easiest way to look at it is to check out the shops.... There are probably about 10 aquatic shops in glasgow and most if not all, have some marine tanks but hardly any comapred to FW... compare that to some parts of england where a marines only shop can exist!

A Marine only outlet wouldnt survive here.. most people are still arguing about plenums and other such nonsence