• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cuttle/Octo food

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Well, just got back from the coast with about 30, inch or so sized crabs.

Does this size sound about ok for a 15cm (full length, 10 cm mantle length) cuttle?

Also, i have collected some sea water to go with them, but thinking about mixing this half and have with synthetic salt water - anyone see any problems with this?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
perfect, its better to use sunthetic salt water as sea water has a lot of plankton etc that will die quickly in a tank poluting the water... best use a 100% synth mix.

That will keep a cuttle quite happy for a week or so :smile:

Have you got the cuttle yet? (this friday?)

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Can someone please tell me about the mechanics of feeding a crab please!!

I take it i chuck the crab in live, the cuttle catches it, then what happens??

The beak cracks the shell and eats the inside? It just cruches through the whole lot - shall and all?

What gets left - do I remove it? etc etc.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
the cuttle injects venom into the soft joint of a crab and kills it... if it a small crab it will just get munched, put your ear to the tank for some pretty nasty bone crunching noises LOL

The cuttles are quite wastefull, they eat the soft part in the carapace and most else get spat out, that why you need a good clean up crew and you should also remove uneaten food as soon as you can, left over ood will polute the tank quick and carapaces left in for a while increases the phosphate levels in the tank...

also, dont panic if you see the cuttle blwing out little disks at an time, they shed the skin of their suckers quite often

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
I got a nice gren brittle in there, and also normal reef clean up (hermits and turbos).

But the clean up crewe will probably get eaten wont they?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Not by a cuttlefish, it will always try and pick up new things you put in to see if it is food, but i had quite an army of hermits and they all did fine with the cuttles :smile:
They cant get them out of the shells like an octo can..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak