• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

coral

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Nini...have you maintained a reef tank before? You might want to try some soft corals prior to getting an octopus...

greg

i got crabs

GPO
Registered
most soft corals arnt too hard to keep. never realy got to hard corals. but dont u think the equipment needed for corals would be a waste as they wouldnt apply to octo. light systems arnt cheap. matb better to try some delicate inverts such as shrimp. if there still around when u get your octo theyll b a good snack or sometimes if u have a good repore with yout lps theyll trade them with u for other supplies. though u never get back what u put into it.

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Just as a note: categorizing corals as SOFT and HARD isn't that wise. Anyways definite no-nos for an octo tank are Zoanthids, Ricordea (mostly), SPS and LPS (pretty much any stony corals) and brain. They require too much light.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Well, resolving them into two groups is the way that they are typically sold, so soft and hard coral is just fine.

If you think that corals are harder to keep, or need more esoteric equipment than octopus, you are totally off your rocker.

greg

LiquidFunk

Blue Ring
Registered
IMO, zoas dont need much light... ive got less than 100w on my 40g octo tank and the zoas do just fine (no octo yet, it may tear them apart).

Im sure octos are smart enough not to eat them (they are very toxic) and they dont sting, so I dont see why they would be a bad choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak