• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

cool photos

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Jean, there are some truly wonderful cranch squid photos at that site. I've spent a lot of time looking at two in particular, on this page:Click here. "Antarctic Cranch Squid," eh?:wink:

Elsewhere there's a remarkable shot of a long-armed, big-tailed "Deep Sea Squid" (no ID) that's either on a monifilament line or shooting out one (or both) tentacles...the questionable bit goes out of frame. You'll know it when you see it.:twisted:

Clem

ps: I'd buy prints of some of these pics, they're that good.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I think it's hooked on a baited line, it's also "upside down", if there is such a thing in the weightless abbyss. Those M. hamiltonii pics are (as far as I can tell) not of a specimen we've seen before, by the way :shock: "Are those messie's eyes, I see before me?" Spectacular Spectacular!

PS: Would that be marine bioluminescence expert Peter J. Herring from Southampton, by any chance?

PPS: If so, there might be more where that came from!

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
ob;87716 said:
"Are those messie's eyes, I see before me?"
Olaf, those are clearly just bits of plastic sheeting.:twisted: I gotta go back to work, but those Herring shots should probably be linked to in a Cranchiid thread.

Clem

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Clem;87792 said:
Olaf, those are clearly just bits of plastic sheeting.:twisted: I gotta go back to work, but those Herring shots should probably be linked to in a Cranchiid thread.

Clem

Are you absolutely sure? :wink:

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
ob;89810 said:
Are you absolutely sure? :wink:
Olaf, why don't you track down Mr. Herring and get some background on this lil' Meso for us? I've done my Mesonychoteuthis pic-begging for this quarter. Get to it!

Cheers,
Clem

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acorn kid

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan