• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Chiroteuthis

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
The genus Chiroteuthis vary greatly in shape and size. One unifying feature they all appear to have is noticably long and thick 4th arms. They are also known for the elaborate photophore patterns on their body (which differ depending on species.)

Chiroteuthis calyx

More info here

Attachments

• conv_305300.jpg
    conv_305300.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 491

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member

Chiroteuthis sp.

This shows the nice photophores on the fourth arms.

Attachments

• conv_300226.jpg
    conv_300226.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 226

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
This amazing video by MBARI features a variety of deep sea squid, 3 of which are chiroteuthids, so i thought i would post it here. (I'm sure it's been posted somewhere else already haha.)
Enjoy!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
WOW! GREAT video! The first one looks like it is sitting in a pool chair and just chillin' :biggrin2:

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Haha, between that, the gorgeous crachiid at 1.25, and the fantastic music, I replayed this video SEVERAL times!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@Tentagal, I started a Members' Publications thread in the Octopus' Den that tries to keep a running list of members' published works. If you will start an entry with your TONMO name and your publication name, I will add you to my Google Scholar search and add publications as I see them there or happen upon them elsewhere. Members can modify their own threads for a short time but supporters can edit indefinitely so if you have items to add after your initial post, be sure I see them (using @DWhatley in a referencing post) -- even if you become a supporter :biggrin2:. For the initial post you can post as little as the two names or as much as you would like. The format is loose but I will modify it a bit to fit the general look and feel so don't worry much about formatting. The publications do not have to be in journals. YouTube videos, magazines, or any other public paper are encouraged to be posted, preferably with links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecretCXMan

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak