• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

CHALLENGE

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
LOL - Jean, you must have snuck that post in while I was composing mine. I got quite a shock there.

Go Kiwi gal!
:biggrin2: :biggrin2: O

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Jean, you must have snuck that post in while I was composing mine.
Ah well great minds think alike, at least squid obsessed ones do!

Nice increments in the statolith! I notice that the increments are in "groups" any feeling on what may trigger this?? Nototodarus statoliths have this "patterning" too. But it doesn't seem to fit any pattern I can think of eg not lunar etc

Yes it's true,...... I'm a frustrated chronobiologist (the only sort there is!!!) my masters was all on increment patterns in bivalves and I got them sussed but these squid........................!!

J

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Hey, related to the discussion about autophagy, have a look at the 6th item on this "Fast Facts" article:

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/96/127/01_11.html

Wonder what the source was for this? Not Steve or T, it would seem!

Of course, when such a statement appears in the same article with the statement "Butterflies taste with their feet," it's less of a scientific report and more of a "hey, get me another beer if you could... and did you know...?" type of publication.

Just thought you'd find the reference as amusing as I did... :smile:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
it's less of a scientific report and more of a "hey, get me another beer if you could... and did you know...?" type of publication
you would expect more than that from a college newspaper? :beer: as for the town of dildo, its mentioned in search for the giant squid since its residents erected a (fiberglass i think) statue/model of architeuthis....

trivia, beer and sexual content is a tried-and-true way of keeping young adults attention...

moseman23

Hatchling
Registered
I'm still leaning toward the noncalcareous--shark cartilage? Whale balleen?

I must say that I am bowled over that this forum reveals just how many ceph and GS enthusiasts are out there, and how these simple tools allow us to interact with the people at the forefront of the science. Incredible!

where do I sign up for stomach dissection duty? :shock:

So where are we with respect to this topic? I just spent the last hour reading all these posts and subsequent links only to end up terribly confused. :bonk: Guess that's what happens when us bankers get interested in Marine Biology. :lol:

The pics are of an Archi's stomach contents, in which were found Archi tentacles? Which may or may not belong to the squid itself, suggesting some sort of Archi-canibalism? What else was found in there? Anything of note? Are we still waiting for Steve and Kat to devilge more info on this topic or are they WAY too preoccupied with work on the Colossal? This is a phenominally interesting post (however WAY over my head) and I'm just looking for someone to "dumb it down" for me.

Someone care to spell it out for us laymen? Until someone is kind enough to, I'll go back to the beginning and read it again. :read:

Matt

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
"Squid can commit suicide by eating their own tentacles."

Jigga-WHAT?!?!

It'd be nice to have a source for that little factoid.

Yes, a basic summary of this thread would be: In dissecting a giant squid we discovered much semi-digested material in the stomach caecum, unusual firstly in that previous reports of Architeuthis' diet have been from trace prey items only, because the gut is almost always completely empty; and secondly, if you follow the photographs and guesses, in that we found sucker rings / fragments from representative parts (carpus, manus, dactylus) of a whole Architeuthis tentacle club. Much speculation and many further questions ensue.

Helpful? :smile:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Tintenfisch said:
Jigga-WHAT?!?!

It'd be nice to have a source for that little factoid.
Couldnt that be Squida-What?

And who I'm rollin with huh? D. gigas Uh-huh-uh-uhh-uhh-uhh

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
no worries...let those of us that cant contribute the knowledge contribute the (attempts at) smart comments... :smile:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak