Catching an octo in NJ

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
I've heard that Octopuses are somewhat common at the beaches of california. I live in New Jersey about 1000 feet from the ocean. Are there Octopuses here? I have found starfish in the jetty's before, caught striped bass while fishing, caught a few skates, some fluke and a few blue fish. But that is about all of the marine life that I have seen around here. Oh and I caught a sand shark while swimming (don't ask how). So are there any octopuses that inhabit this area? Or are there even any octopuses in the northeast?
Thanks

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
After doing some research I found that this is the closest reef to me. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/reefconcrete06.htm (actually directly off the coast of where I am) by looking at the one picture, does it look like an environment of which an octopus could live in, or does anybody know how far octopuses have been found on the east coast (west atlantic).
Thanks

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Make sure you are compliant with the local game and fish laws.

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Are their even laws made specifically for catching octopuses? Not so sure it is a common thing around here, because I am not sure if there even are any octopuses this far north.

Oh yeah, there are laws... here is a sticky about regulations in California, I'll see what I can find out about New Jersey. Sometimes having a fishing license is enough...

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9858/

Here is some info about New Jersey. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/marinelicenses.htm

Here are the complete set of regulations. I can't find anything about octopus (or squid) but be aware, it is illegal to collect whale sharks... :lol:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2009/comregs09.pdf

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you very much, however like I said the chances of me finding an octopus are very slim, however I will still read through the regulations and I will be sure to follow the law. Thanks again.

Tommycs;137835 said:
Thank you very much, however like I said the chances of me finding an octopus are very slim, however I will still read through the regulations and I will be sure to follow the law. Thanks again.

I think you may need a shellfish license because it states all molluscs except conch. You may want to contact them directly to get more information. The shellfish license has this to say...
Maximum harvest 150 clams/day for personal consumption only (sale prohibited). Harvest prohibited from: condemned waters; leased grounds (except by lessee); before sunrise, after sunset, and on Sundays. Minimum hard clam size 1.5 inches. Valid through June 1 - September 30

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Alright, well when I do decide to head out to one of those reefs (sometime this summer) I will be sure to call and get the appropriate license.

lance

Wonderpus
Registered
I would think it be illegal to catch an octopus without some sort of permit or license.

lance

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I love the clam ruling you found Jennifer :biggrin2:. It becomes quite humerous when applied to octopuses but would make collecting a briareus impossible. I suspect octopuses don't fall under the molluscs rules though.

Generally speaking, little is thought about octos and squid in the US (except the bimac in CA). The octopuses are usually considered a nuisance by commercial fishermen (especially crabbers) and are cut up as fish bait when found in traps or happen to get caught on a fishing line. In the Keys, at least some of the crabbers will check with local fish collectors to see if there is a market for the critter that ate their crabs should it still be in the trap. Trapper, my first octopus was named after her captor, Trapper Jeff, and was preserved because Ken put in a request to keep one alive for me. I read an article this season that said that many of the stone crab trappers quit early this year (roughly November - March) because the octopuses were excessive and raiding too many pots.

Latest Posts