• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

blue ring octopus

Jarczi

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi everyone.
I'm intrested in H.lunulata and I have some question.
Can you tell me what I need to buy the aquarium for the octopus? I mean some starfish, live rock and similar animals. What must have Wather ph? And what equipment I need in general for the octopus.
Would be nice if someone showed pictures of your aquarium and described what it is.
I know that this is a highly venomous beast but I have experience in breeding venomous creatures and I would like to try the octopus.
Thanks in advance for all answers.

Regards Daniel

Let me be the first to tell you that there is not a single person that frequents this sight that will tell you it is a good idea to keep these animals nor condone you doing so. I would strongly advise on getting onther species. Though you may have expierence with other venomous animals, this is not the same. There is no antivenom, and if you get bitten while you are alone or do not know you are bitten and become alone you will most certainly die. Even if you are given aide in the appropriate time, there is no gauruntee that you will survive.

That being said if you are still going to go forth with this I would strongly recommend that you do A LOT of research into OCTOPUS husbandry and this species in general. Again I say don't, but it's not really my call.

The floor is now open to the rest of the community.

Hapalochlaena lunulata's particular venom is tetrodotoxin, for which there is not only no antivenom, but for which you can expect to be rushed to the ER and be on a ventilator for several hours if you are bitten.

... if you don't die!

If so, can you tell me what species of octopus looks like and has a similar size.

btw. And so I would like to know what conditions need to ensure H.lunulata

Blue rings are native to the western Pacific. They're often found off the coast of Australia. Only blue rings have blue rings; if you want a species that has blue markings on it, I suggest the vastly less dangerous Octopus bimaculatus or Octopus bimaculoides, which have two blue eyespots.

How big is your aquarium?

Technically, all octopuses are venomous, but only blue-ring octopuses can kill you.

120 x 40 x 50 is 240000 cubic centimeters, which is 240 liters, which is 63 gallons. This is fairly close to the minimum tank size we recommend for an octopus, and you have the octopus size about right.

well, you can tell me what I need to have the EQUIPMENT to grow in the aquarium blue ring octopus, or some other.
Unfortunately, in Poland where I live I have the possibility to buy only H.lunulata ...

The only truly 'colorful' non-hazardous octopuses are the bimacs, which look like this:

Cephalopod Care

I would suggest cuttlefish as well, since they are more prone to change their color than octopuses and more active. The suggested species here is Sepia bandensis, as larger cuttlefish species require huge aquaria. Your tank is big enough for two cuttlefish.

Sepia bandensis is very nice but as I say in Poland will not get anything like H.lunulata and therefore wants to know what I need in an aquarium to have a good live my octopus.

:welcome: to TONMO

I think an Adopus would be a great fit. they are really cool looking, Diurnal, social, and a great fit for your aquarium. i think it will be near impossible for you to find a bimac being that you are in Poland and they are from California.

its just not smart to get a Bluering there venom is far worse that most people realize. Simple tasks like cleaning the tank become life threatening. its not like a venomous snake where a bite means a trip to the hospital for a few shots and you go home. Check out the Journals and see what others are keeping and what is involved.

Link to journals

Link to octopus care section
at the top are stickys with lists of octopuses kept arranged by year..

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Of course, reading given by you will read:smile:
Unfortunely poland case of venomous snakes look different than abroad ... from us by a snake bite is a 99% death ...
I'm sorry to say this but these things are terribly backward: /

Bimacs are indeed more appropriate for American keepers, since they don't have to travel a long way.

Sepia bandensis is actually found in the western Pacific, and Poland may be close enough to get your hands on some.

There is apparently a dude at Korallen.no who might be able to tell you about which cephalopods he can get his hands on, but that might mostly be Sepia officinalis, which should not be kept in a 60 gallon tank.

If you are willing to get a bigger tank - maybe three times the size - you could get your hands on an Octopus vulgaris, which may not be colorful, but is abundant in Europe.

Okay I know that is not the best choice H.lunulata but still I'm interested in aquarium equipment for her ... it was the main question and still got no answer: /

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back