• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Bimac Vs. Vulgaris

Post subject: Bimac Vs. Vulgaris

Hello Alicia,

Are you aware of a source for captive bred O. briareus? I am trying to be responsible about my selection for my first Octo, and because of the fact that the ol' budget doesn't favor the cost of a chiller, I feel that O. briareus would be a more ethical choice for me than a bimac. I am new here, but have been doing quite a bit of research on this and it is starting to look like there are no suppliers successfully breeding O. briareus in captivity. :? Can you confirm this? Thanks in advance.

--menace

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Allow me to answer partly, Alicia may know more...

To my knowledge all briareus that I have seen for sale, discussed on this forum or kept myself have all been wild caught...

They are a species worthy of being captive bred and hopefully that will come soon :smile:

They have laid eggs for many people in captivity but rearing eggs/babies is the tricky part

Alicia

Blue Ring
Registered
Colin in correct in stating that O. briareus have not been successfully tank raised. The only way to obtain one is to get a "wild caught" O. briareus. Be sure to tell your LFS when you're ready for one and give them the scientific name. (Request they call you when it arrives so that you can acclimate directly to your tank. This makes less stress on the creature from water changes.) Many Octopus are "unidentified" or listed as "common" in the trade. If you tell your LFS that what you want comes from the Caribbean it will be much easier to accurately locate one.

If you're ready this summer now's the perfect time to persue a young O. briareus. If small in size, they will most likely have been born in the early part of this year. Thus a longer lifespan in your tank. If you wait till winter you will almost be guaranteed an adult. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Also, you might be able to lower your tank temperature for a bimac without buying a chiller. I lowered mine several degrees by keeping the air conditioning (and the furnace) set a couple of degrees lower, by having a fan blow on the sump, and by using the protein skimmer mostly at night, when the house was cooler.

Nancy

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak