Behavior among different octopus species

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
Would you say that that the different octopus species differ a lot in behavior?
-In this context I don't mean that most if not every individual octopus has a somewhat different character. I also don't mean by that for example that a giant pacific octopus may hunt more. I rather would like to know whether some species are more friendly or reserved etc. than others?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Hard to generalize given all the species, and need to consider "friendly" -- you mean toward humans? There are some general behavioral differences (such as nocturnal vs. diurnal), some bury themselves, and it would seem some shallow-water species may be a bit more "active" than those we see at extreme depths.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It is hard to generalize but giving it a shot, smaller species seem to be more recluse (but I had one of over a dozen dwarfs that was very interactive), diurnal and corpuscular less reclusive than nocturnal (but I have one VERY nocturnal that was super responsive to attention as long as you were around the tank at 3:00 AM). Possibly age of acquisition, personality and environment are more important (except for the very nocturnal animals) than species.