• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Before and after

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Hello guys

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (well, January at Hawsker Bottoms actually), I was wandering the beach when I spotted a Grey Shale nodule lying amongst the shingle. A likely looking nodule I thought and sure enough upon close inspection the edge of the outer whorl of an ammonite could be seen peeping out from within. However, it did not wish to escape its nodular tomb without a struggle and despite a number of taps from the old Estwing it refused to split. A few soakings in a pan of warm water alternately followed by a night in the freezer compartment presuaded most of the nodule to come away but one section stubbornly refused to budge. A slightly more vigorous tap from the hammer resulted in disaster - an ammonite sorely in need of repair!. Attempts to glue it only resulted in the two parts vibrating apart again as soon as I tried to use the airpen on them but it was too good a Dac to discard so I had to splash the cash and have it done professionally. Came out quite nicely I think!

Andy

Attachments

• conv_302607.jpg
    conv_302607.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 83
  • conv_302608.jpg
    conv_302608.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 62

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Perfect, one can't see any cracks or joins at all. That really is a marvellous specimen and has been brilliantly restored.

Thanks for showing us.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Great prep job on that one. Reminds me of some of the trilobites found around here, they usually split on the ventral surface so you have to be sure and keep the mold, then glue the two halves together and prep down to the dorsal side to reveal the bug.
You're getting a great collection Andy, thanks for sharing. :cool2:

Andy, nice specimen but did you mark yours before you shipped it off for prepping ? :wink:
I prefer to source my stuff from a nice Chinese chap on Ebay "Honest Wong Wun", that way I know what I'm getting !
The Morrocan spiny trilobites :trilobit: are also good value & if you're lucky you can get ones that smell (& taste) like "Blackjacks" :razz:

Keef

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
I can assure you Keef its the same one!

The collection is coming along very nicely. 28 species in the bag and only another 100 or so to go and I'll have the full set - though I will need some more shelves if I hope to get anywhere near that target. I've had some experience of glueing crab nodules back together and digging down through the nod when they've split badly. The trick is to remember which half of the nodule is the top or it can all go horribly wrong!

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this but what is a blackjack and why does it taste of trilobite?

Attachments

• conv_289179.jpg
    conv_289179.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 73

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lonestar108

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri