• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bad News..

Sinks

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello everyone,
i regret to inform you all that last night my 4 month old (not sure his age ive just had him for four months) made a dash for the tv and died on the living room floor :cry: i have a feeding hole cut into the glass which i slide the light over when not feeding, of course he learnt that thats where his food came from so he would always flop arms over the side of the glass but never actually come out of the water - then for some reason, maybe the starfish put him up to it, he made the ill fated break for freedom. He seems to have crawled about a metre, turned a corner then crawled another metre before fatigue or asphyxiation got the better of him. Needless to say my roommates and I are all devastated. I have attached photos of the little guy in happier times..
This is the second occy ive kept and for roughly same time as the first, however this one thoroughly cleared the tank of animals (except for that no good starfish) and was alot more interactive - i taught him to open a jar (not unscrew, just put the lid off). im going to cycle the tank for 2 weeks then start afresh.
He will be buried at a twilight ceremony in my backyard...he would have wanted it that way. RIP little guy..

-Justin

Attachments

• conv_302441.jpg
    conv_302441.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_302442.jpg
    conv_302442.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_302443.jpg
    conv_302443.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 92
It's one of those hard earned lessons that will stick with you forever. Yeah, that is a bummer, a similar thing happened to me early on also, resulting in an octo "jerkified" on the sidewalk outside. Still feel horrible about that one.

greg

RIP :angelpus: Sorry about your loss.

My guess is that escape seems like going from tidepool to tidepool, like some species do in hunting.

Nancy

Thanks everyone for the thoughts..

I like to think it was just the instinct to hunt that made him take the plunge but i dont know for sure. ph and kh were normal but im not sure about the nitrate or salinity level, i dont test them as often. the tank was due for a 25% water change on the weekend. im more inclined to think it was just curiousity.

Sinks said:
Thanks everyone for the thoughts..

I like to think it was just the instinct to hunt that made him take the plunge but i dont know for sure. ph and kh were normal but im not sure about the nitrate or salinity level, i dont test them as often. the tank was due for a 25% water change on the weekend. im more inclined to think it was just curiousity.

Sorry to hear about your loss Sinks. :angelpus: for future reference tho' I would check nitrates more often....octopus are ammonia factories and produce much much more than a similar sized fish.

Ths hunting instinct is a tough one to overcome tho'

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back