At last, some good news re: commercial whaling

sorseress said:
It's a matter of goals. The original goal was admirable, this one isn't.

uh-oh, the epistemological can of worms of "the ends justify the means" has been breached... :alarm:

Folks, M is playing devils adcocate; in doing so he raises very good points.

A wee update

... I think we should also trawl the coasts to catch all of those pesky swimmers; we could process them into surimi aboard the factory ships!

We aren't doing a very good job of sustainable fishing either, and when animals mature slowly, as whales and many species of fish do, we are flirting with extinction of species. We need to have across the board protection for many species, not just whales.

sorseress said:
We need to have across the board protection for many species, not just whales.
My question was why not carry out SUSTAINABLE harvesting? Why should just some selected species be protected? If the proposal is to protect species where do we stop - who has the right to decide which species are "good" and which are "bad'? For example should the global plan to exterminate Smallpox be abandoned? Smallpox is another lifeform with an evolutionary history just as whales are - but doesn't have the benefit of a good PR agent!

myopsida said:
My question was why not carry out SUSTAINABLE harvesting? Why should just some selected species be protected?

I think the point was that some species cannot be sustainably harvested. And whales, in their current status, are definitely not ready to be harvested in any way. Maybe before whaling began there would have been sufficient numbers for a sustainable industry, but we all know how well that was managed. They need further protection before any whaling should even be considered. Besides population numbers, there are many other valid arguments against whaling.

In regards to why some species can be protected and others not, an easy out is that viruses aren't considered alive (at least I don't think yet) and therefore don't fall into this discussion. However, basically it falls down to if it negatively impacts humans or not. Smallpox did so we took care of it.

Cheers!

sigh

"FRIGATE BAY: Japan and other whaling nations today for the first time in more than two decades won support for a motion criticising a global whaling ban, signaling they might finally have the muscle to challenge the moratorium."

I now endorse the selective culling of persons surplus to requirement in the global population! Grind 'em up and make 'em into chowder!

Steve O'Shea said:
sigh

I now endorse the selective culling of persons surplus to requirement in the global population! Grind 'em up and make 'em into chowder!

hmmm, there are some who would be inedible because of the nicotine residues........

myopsida said:
hmmm, there are some who would be inedible because of the nicotine residues........
Just renders us an addictive substance M; no doubt they'd pass some law about smoking or snorting O

I agree, O'Shea. The way we act, everything not-human is in season-let's even the playing field-Human(TM) brand chowder, for all yer little fishies!

A concern I have is that if there is a return to whaling at sustainable levels, who polices this while the vessel is at sea? I can't imagine that every whaling vessel would have IWC observers onboard to ensure that the catch type and quantity is within limits. I am not stating that illegal catches would take place for certain, but am curious as to the effectiveness and logistical workings of the control checks that would be enabled.

Steve O'Shea said:
sigh

"FRIGATE BAY: Japan and other whaling nations today for the first time in more than two decades won support for a motion criticising a global whaling ban, signaling they might finally have the muscle to challenge the moratorium."

I disagree! Grind' 'em up and make 'em into fertilizer. That could benefit meat eaters, vegans and everyone in between.

Personally, I think we should put some effort into researching how to grow bits of meat in vats. We can then cut out the whole hunting, killing, destroying angst. However, since that's what our species does, I don't hold out much hope.

Matt Jones said:
Personally, I think we should put some effort into researching how to grow bits of meat in vats. We can then cut out the whole hunting, killing, destroying angst. However, since that's what our species does, I don't hold out much hope.

Now THERE'S an idea...genetically engineered "stew-beasts"/vat lump-meat TV dinners!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back