• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

At last, some good news re: commercial whaling

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
It is good to hear that Japan's proposal to hunt minke whales commercially has been rejected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

Apparantly Japan, Norway and Iceland argued that growing whale numbers threatened declining fish stocks. I ask you...... :x

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3736042.stm

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Re: At last, some good news re: commercial whaling

Phil said:
Apparantly Japan, Norway and Iceland argued that growing whale numbers threatened declining fish stocks. I ask you...... :x
Awww COME ON!!!! :roll: + :x
Geeez... what next?!

TPOTH

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
The vote, considering the number of abstentions, is perilously close! This isn't something that is going to go away.

Big applause from me, blood boilin stuff that.

For very pint of guinness i drink this weekend im goin to donate a big applause to those that eventually took the humungous step (cough) of banning this.

:beer:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/ap_on_re_as/japan_whaling

Wasn't sure whether or not our friendly Yahoo! news thingy was working so I posted this here (I cannot post in the news forum). As Steve said earlier in this thread, its not over yet. I just can't believe that some people can still think like this. Maybe Greenpeace could arm the whales with laser beams attached to their heads. :madsci: I'm sure its possible, I mean the US government has apparently trained killer dolphins!

Cheers!

Yeah, I heard that somewhere too (though apparently not in that article). I just can't believe that they're still allowed do this. On the surface it doesn't seem like they're killing a lot (just number wise) compared to other hunted species, but then you remember that these are WHALES and that absolutely everyone is precious and special and cannot be lost. Again, I just can't understand how organizations let whaling happen. Is there nothing more than can be done about this? I mean, they aren't just going to stop themselves, they're not even slowing down!!! There just has to be something more that can be done.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustyn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak