• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Anywhere in US have cuttles now?

Hi all,
Jim at octopets won't have any until June. :sad:
fishsupply is out. :sad:
The lady at liveaquaria says that the computer tells her they have them but she has no other info, plus they jacked the price up. :confused:
-Anyone know where there are any Sepia officinalis available?
Thanks, John

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
I don't think there will be many cuttles around as octopets seems to be the supplier, you could try asking LFS but i doubt you'll be able to find anything worth the price... Guess its time for waiting?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
a local zoo had some brought in from the phillipines, and they lasted about two days...I would wait for the spring!

greg

outhus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
if your in san diego, i got my cuttelfish from the pet kingdom on sports arena blvd. the head of the fish department said he has a source now(about 3 months ago). mine was $90 and he said it was from hawaii. make sure to talk to the head of the department, the other employes arnt that informed. its worth a shot if your in the area? good luck!!!!

I have come to believe that all of the LFS owners/workers in my area have a slight case of mental retardation. Since I work for an aquarium I could probably easily order myself one from one of the institutes that supplies them only to aquariums...But if I got caught I'd be in trouble.:frown:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I dont think there have been too many reported cases of people succesfully growing on these officinalis... anyone know dfferently?

Barnstorm

Blue Ring
Registered
Colin said:
I dont think there have been too many reported cases of people succesfully growing on these officinalis... anyone know dfferently?
Geeze? Really?

Maybe I should go back to a bimac?

I thought from reading through the archives a officinalis was your 'best bet' with a cuttle assuming you could give them enough space.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yeah, i havnt kept any other species but certainly officinalis was reasonably easily done. As long as space was provided and in fighting was ruled out!!! :smile:

i think the best bet is to get them as eggs and grow them yourself. They seem to travel very poorly and this accounts for about 80% of our losses it seems...

Nancy, are you in touch with anyone still with one of the cuttles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustyn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak