• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aku's Journal

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Merry Kreiselmas and Happy New Borns!

I am excited to announce that Aku's eggs have hatched! I was getting irritated all New Year's Eve because that's when I had predicted they'd hatched based on my last "Aku sighting" and they hadn't come by the time the ball dropped- but like clockwork, yesterday morning the tank was filled with 100 or so babies. I didn't post yesterday as I was in the throws of the gastrointestinal bug the family has been sharing for the holidays- the best I could do was keep the brine shrimp hatching and catch glimpses between visits to the bathroom.

It's almost stupid to try and take pictures of the babies, but here are a couple. They are about the size of an uncooked grain of rice- as that was all I could keep down yesterday I compared a grain to a baby. They absolutely hang out in the brightest places in the tank, but that doesn't help with the pictures because they are just so small. They also don't hold still much.

As with last time, I am trying two separate tanks, the parent tank and my frankentanked "kreisel," which I have modified since last time based on that experiment. Aku's den is under a piece of live rock, if I look under the tank I can see a bit of her and know that she is still alive. As she has refused to eat during brooding I don't expect her to last much longer.

I will post any other exciting happenings with Aku but I don't expect any. I will keep posts for the babies on the "raising eggs" thread from here on out.

Attachments

• conv_293647.jpg
    conv_293647.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
  • conv_293648.jpg
    conv_293648.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 81

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
congratulations........... now the fun begins, well the hard work begins anway. Maybe one day I will bring home a new friend with me and face the same. haggs

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Glad you are feeling well enough to post, you can ignore my other questions as I have been reading these LIFO and you have answered the questions I had :oops:

The baby pictures are the best of anyone yet for the small egged hatchling!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
haggs;130862 said:
congratulations........... now the fun begins, well the hard work begins anway. Maybe one day I will bring home a new friend with me and face the same. haggs

Do we know if Situ is a small or larged egged species?

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Aku is gone, babies, too

Well, yesterday Aku was dead. I would check under the tank every morning to see if she was moving and yesterday she was still. It was easy to remove her, and I could see the 6 or 7 stringy things that the festoons of eggs hung from. She was never very happy in my tank, I always felt kind of bad for keeping her. She was too wild to ever eat while she was brooding, and I never saw her (without peeking under the tank) after she began brooding. I was able to get the tank all cleaned up and back in order yesterday, in between helping my husband out with his relapse of noro- virus and trying to disinfect the whole house! And now I face the inevitable curse of an octo keeper, a bare tank...

Latest Posts