Unidentified Octopus with egg clutch

niki

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi guys...

here is an octopus i have recieved from the philliphines. she layed eggs inside her cup and i have isolated the eggs from her and have them aereating. my question(s) are : what is she? and more importantly, will i be able to save the babies? thanks octo-gurus and have a g'day...Niki

unknownoctopi.jpg

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Im not sure about the ID of the octopus, might be A. Aculeatus if it came from the Philippines but it doesnt look too much like one. How big are the eggs? They seem like large eggs, if so then you should be able to raise them.

Upvote 0
She doesn't look like she is going to make it much longer. :sad: I was thinking the eggs looked really small, but it is hard to tell from the photos. The eggs are indeed fertile, I can see the little embryos. Better stock up on plankton and some Cyclopeeze if you are going to try and raise them.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the eggs are pretty small as well. Definitely not Abdopus Aculeatus. I will try to research a possible ID later tonight if I have time to get on the computer. In the meantime, possibly someone will be able to help.

Upvote 0

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Senescing octopuses lose the ability to produce body patterns. If you look closely you can see remnants of the star pattern around the eye and the dorsal mantle white spots. Combine this with shorter dorsal arms, small eggs, and small size and you have A. aculeatus...just a very old one. The eggs will be better off with the female, although there is no hope of raising them past hatching.

Upvote 0

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi, Welcome to TONMO.com

Looks exactly like my last octopus did before it died, that was aculeatus, or at least a very closely related species.

Sorry the eggs are very hard to rear unless you have a supply of zooplankton?

Colin

Upvote 0

niki

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Oh well thanks everybody :smile: I appreciate it. Nice forum you have here. I"m learning tons.

I'm sure the octopus, Franki, will die soon. She doesn't move much, and she isn't interested in food. We shall see.

As for the eggs, at any given time I have freshly hatched artemia, adult artemia, copepods, arthropods(hufa enriched) any and all frozen foods you can imagine... including ova.

i'm at a wholesale facility in los angeles with a very dedicated, ethical owner and boss who encourages these types of projects. i have never studied cephies too much, being a coral junkie but we do recieve several (cuttles, myriad different kinds of octos, nautliis etc.)

so i guess if you guys can help me, or point me in the right direction, i will do everything within my power to rear the clutch. any articles or sites that i can use? and it would really help if we could get an accurate ID. i'll post as many pictures as I can on other sites to find out. I will also photo document the entire process. Do you guys know of anyone who has raised these octos?

thanks, niki

Upvote 0

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I know dwhatley has experience raising octopus mercatoris, so she might be able to help. Just wondering, since you mentioned that your wholesaler regularly gets cuttlefish and octopuses, is there any way that we could buy from them, or if not a store that your wholesaler supplies? Thanks.

Upvote 0