TV show on Giant Pacific Octopus Attack

Hello everyone!

There will be a show on the GPO on History Channel tonight. I got to work on the show. have not seen the final edit cut so Im not sure how it will come out. We got some cool footage of a GPO comming at me but when it got there it grabbed me but was in a very gentle manner.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=339212

Let me know what you guys think. Diving Puget sound is kinda sketchy with the currents. It should be entertaining.

Dale

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
OMG, that blurp is the worst piece of Alten I've seen in a long, long time. I would reckon the chances of an encounter with a 20 ton octopus to be best described by a nice round number....

You could try the Bahama's next time, in search of the Lusca :shock:

Luckily, I have no doubt that your footage as usual will be brilliant and sufficient reason to watch, regardless :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
WOO HOO. A show about an animal I work with during my undergraduate and masters and in the area I work with it. This is great. I will definitely be watching this with great interest.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Dale,
I missed the post until it was half over but Neal set up the DVR for tomorrow night so we can see it and not miss the Olympics. Thanks for the notice!

Diving Puget sound is kinda sketchy with the currents. It should be entertaining.
Am I to assume you turn green :yuck: in this one too?

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
gonetobaja;122906 said:
Diving Puget sound is kinda sketchy with the currents.

My favorite kinda of diving, especially near Deception Pass (ripping currents there, but amazing sealife) Everything else feels like diving in a swimming pool. :biggrin2:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
There are some nice GPO shots, but most is typical Monster Quest, the search for an enormous octopus, putting out lots of underwater cameras, and finding nothing :smile:

Nancy

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
ow, the stupid hurts my brain. And the misrepresentation-- I assume that Richard Ellis told them that most (all?) of the globsters that they listed have been identified as whale parts via DNA, and they just edited it out (cut to fanatical cryptozoologist "expert")

And I'm only 5 minutes in. Still, as always, nice to see Dale and Scott having fun diving.

edit: bah. made up controversy about blobs. cool camera toys, though. Why would a 100 foot octopus eat 10 foot octopuses, anyway? Wouldn't it eat, like blue whales, or the hypothesized-by-cryptozoologists 50 foot lobsters? I'm the "this can't be whale collagen" guy certainly didn't make the case that the stuff was octopus muscle. What's the electron microscopy of big, gelatinous species look like? I bet it's not like whale collagen... so either the blob is a species of octopus that's not like muscular nor gelatinous cephalopods, or it's NOT A CEPHALOPOD.

e.g. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...4A15754C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Also, um, Scott saying "I am a firm believer that the Octopus gigantus for real is a true species"? I can understand "I'd love for this to be a real species," but that sounds pretty silly.

edit: and the computer graphics octopus is awful... but I'm a snob about that.

edit: gah, the beak isn't made of bone. Also "the octopus' beak is linearly proportional to its size." I seem to remember Jean and Steve objecting to my even using that as a rough approximation. Very, verry silly. And the octopus doesn't crack clams by the force of its beak. And anyway, force doesn't scale linearly with size, it scales linearly as cross section of muscle, so the hypothetical 15x as long octo would be 15 x 15 times as strong, hence 225 times as strong. But octos drill or pull clams apart and paralyze them with cephalotoxin, anyway, so the whole experiment is meaningless. (Also, 200 foot octopuses don't exist anyway :razz: )

by the way, having a GPO yank your mask off seems a lot scarier in those "mask + regulator + microphone" things-- do you guys keep an "octopus" spare normal regulator, too?

As usual, the dive footage is awesome. It's frustrating that the MonsterQuest folks seem to feel a need to sensationalize and believe in a 200' octopus, when you guys got to do so much cool stuff... the sunstar footage is great, the GPO looked fun to play with (heck, the footage of the GPO pulling off some other guy's mask looked fun, too, although it's hard for me to stay calm enough to have fun when my mask is flooding even for mundane reasons. )

Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but I think it's sad that the actual cool cephalopods aren't "enough." It's great that you guys get paid and sponsored, but the spin seems kind of "glamorize science by being unscientific" in nature.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Neal watched a little but DVRed the whole thing for us to watch later but he mentioned that it looked like Scot lost a hose and was wearing the full mask - hard to buddy breath with one of those contraptions! I look forward to seeing it and won't read any more spoilers until I do :tongue:

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
just... wow....

I had a couple buddies who were undergrads (now graduate students) that helped me with my GPO and O. rubescens research in the sound to watch this with me. It was an hour of nearly non-stop laughs :lol:. All the just sensationalized, largely untrue hype just killed me. Unfortunately, The sensationalism covered up and replaced much of the truly amazing things about these animals. :banghead:

Giant Squid Part Two

Hello Dale,
I noticed that the Monster Quest program is returning to the hunt for a larger than normal humboldt squid - are you or have you been involved in it?

Latest Posts