• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Tralfaz Eats

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey all:

The slowest :P of the fishsupply siblings is finally making some progress. he is now hunting frozen shrimp on a feeding stick. If I move it around he will come out and stalk it. Eventually, I let him catch it. It is interesting that he does not like to let go of the acrylic feeding stick. If I keep wiggling it he will try his hardest to pull it out of my hands even after he has the shrimp. (maybe he thinks that it is the shrimp struggling. :shock:

Anyway, I got some good pics of this psuedo-hunt. In the one you can see him grabbing the shrimp. Hopefully, he will "graduate" to catching live shrimp in the near future. :wink:

George

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey all:

Here is one of him trying to pull the ffeding stick away from me. The little guy has quite a grip. Oh, in the background of the one picture you can see Tralfaz's nemesis "snack" the shrimp.

George

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey Carol:

Actually, I have not noticed any real growth yet. :x Maybe because Tralfaz has not been eating as much as his brothers and sisters. (Hmmmm, does this make him the runt of the litter? :? ?)

I know Roxy is getting bigger, she can stretch her arms out 5 or 6 inches...they weren't that long when I got her. Maybe I should stop feeding her 10 lbs of food a day! :lol:

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sooo.... How often and how much do you feed?? I know Ink eats about every other day. I know he's really hungry when he's all over the tank, sifting sand, poking into everything. He comes right to the top when he see's the lids open. He eats maybe 5 thawed prawn from me and I think whatever he can grab from the Serpent Starfish. He also eats a good size, about 2" crab, including legs, and seems to like the male ones, cause of the large claw. Will have to try fresh scallop.

I am looking forward to the warmer weather cause I can start collecting locally!

Carol

I feed Roxy every day. Usually one of something large(1.5"-2" crab, mussel, etc) or 2 of something small(crabs, hermits). Sometimes I think its a lot but if you think about it, theres not a lot of meat in a small crabs shell. She comes out hunting for food at least once a day.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I think I'm feeding Ollie about the same amount as you're feeding Roxy. I give him one fiddler crab or medium to large snail, and a couple of slices of fresh scallop every day.

For his first month or so I kept shrimp in his tank so that he could free feed a bit too. He finally learned to catch them without difficulty and last week he ate 50 in two days! Now I'll use the shrimp for a special treat!

He's grown a lot and is having trouble fitting into a few of his favorite places comfortably.

Nancy

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Now that I'm thinking about it, I have the shrimp from Tonmo in Ink's tank that are disapearing, and there were 10 small hermit crabs that are decreasing in numbers. Ink maybe eating everyday also. I know I physically feed every other day. Does it matter if they eat daily? I seem to remember it could decrease their lifespan?? Wonder if they eat daily in the wild???

Carol

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey all:

I've actually been feeding Tralfaz every other day. I also seem to remember that this will increase his lifespan. I also would like to see him perfect his hunting techniques. (Hunger is a great motivator) In fact, he just took 6 frozen krill from me and scarfed them down. :biggrin2:

George

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guillermo Oro Marcos

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak