The trouble with having a pet octopus - Cartoon

Very cute! But shouldn't the caption read, "There's something I need to get off my chest"? :roll:

Ink-identally, while doing a search for Gary Larson's squid cartoons (which are among the best), I came across these two pages from a site which is apparently run by kindred spirits:

Halfbakery: Giant Squid Tagger
Halfbakery: Pocket Squid

I say we give these folks TONMO's OSS (Overwhelmingly Silly Squiddage) award....

quite disappointing...could only find 2 of my farside collections.... but this was among them...sorry about the file size... i tried to cut it down some

WhiteKiboko said:
quite disappointing...could only find 2 of my farside collections.... but this was among them...sorry about the file size... i tried to cut it down some

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Great one! I never saw this before. He did a few that involved animals speaking at conventions -- my favorite was the classic with the dinosaur saying something like, "Well, gentlemen, the picture looks bleak -- the glaciers are advancing, the mammals are taking over, and we all have brains the size of a walnut."

Unfortunately, I sold my FAR SIDE collection at a flea market book sale last year (what was I thinking?), and now I am reaping the bad karma I generated. In the process of trying to find his cartoons online, I came across this notice from Larson himself, who apparently objected to the unauthorized reproduction of his work on the net -- understandable, though very disappointing:

Gary Larson Cartoon of the Week (The Far Side Comics)

One of his squid-toons that I remember in particular was titled "The Squid Family on a Road Trip", with one of the "squidkids" in back whining, "Mom, Jimmy won't keep his tentacles on his side of the car!"

In the collection I had, the Foreword was written by none other than the late Stephen Jay Gould -- one of my favorite evolutionary scientists, even though I disagree with his strict atheism. Not many cartoonists could boast of an endorsement from such a distinguished source!

I'm sure a "pilgrimage" to Amazon.com or Half.com will turn up some Larson anthologies, all of which are worth having around.

Dux et bonum,
Tani

i guess to make up for the fact i scanned something out of one of the books, i should suggest people try his first post farside book, "There's a hair in my dirt" about a family of worms....plus it has a moral too....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back