• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Squid or Jellyfish?

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
I spotted this pic of a phallic-looking sea beast labelled as "giant squid" while browsing a random nature blog:

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/nature/

The image source is originally from http://pya.cc/ which I cannot read at all.

Looks more like some type of jellyfish to me, but I am no expert.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Look like a massive jelly to me as well, but then I'm not an expert either.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Looks like a giant jelly to me too, but I'm no expert either :wink: . It could be something as bizarre as the first-reported adult Promachoteuthis. Without a better pic we'll never know.

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
I'm no expert, but I play one on TV, and he would say it's a giant jellyfish, or a mushroom. The original source page is a Japanese blog, and I had no luck at parsing trusty Babelfish's translation.

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
Clem said:
I'm no expert, but I play one on TV, and he would say it's a giant jellyfish, or a mushroom. The original source page is a Japanese blog, and I had no luck at parsing trusty Babelfish's translation.

that'd be even better than a new species of giant squid - first discovery of pelagic mushrooms!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Snafflehound said:
that'd be even better than a new species of giant squid - first discovery of pelagic mushrooms!

I think that type of mushroom is known to science-- it can be found in Super Mario Brothers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak