• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Squid Beak Preservation

In my invertebrate zoology lab we dissected squid and I kept the beak because we were just throwing them out afterward. I was wondering what I have to do to preserve it. Can I dilute rubbing alcohol to make it 40%, or am I supposed to preserve it in something else? Do I have to do anything to it before putting it in alcohol?

Any advice would be great!

You can just use rubbing alcohol without diluting it. Ive kept them without even using any fluids. The beak itself can just dry out and be kept as is.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Hi Heather,

I have a word of caution, I find dried beaks to be incredibly brittle. I stored my research beaks in 70% ETOH which kept some flexibilty in the beaks.

J

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Jean;105097 said:
Hi Heather,

I have a word of caution, I find dried beaks to be incredibly brittle. I stored my research beaks in 70% ETOH which kept some flexibilty in the beaks.

J

I know Steve has mentioned 70% ethanol or 40% isopropyl is good for the big beaks he handed out at MOTE. I have to confess, I've got mine in 70% isopropyl because it was easier to get (probably 'cause you can't drink it) and I wasn't sure if it was OK to use tapwater to dilute it down to 40% or if I should get distilled or RO water for that. I've been meaning to dilute it down next time I have a bottle of distilled water handy, but it seems OK for now...

- M

Thanks! I didn't want to let it dry out because I was worried that it would be too fragile. I had it in water, then I put it in the freezer for safe keeping. It's now in 99% Isopropyl, and I was thinking that maybe I should dilute it with distilled water, because I'm not sure if I can use tapwater. It's been a little less than a day and it seems fine. Is deionized water ok to use to dilute it?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Not sure to be honest, school supplier maybe? Oh wait....Methylated spirit is 95% ethanol, 5% methanol, to avoid the purple colour go for white spirit! But rubbing alcohol is just isopropyl and that should be fine and I imagine you can get that at a chemist (pharmacy, drugstore....? struggling with Kiwi vs US english here!!!).

J

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
I considered everclear or Bacardi 151 rum for 70% ethanol. I seem to remember someone saying that vodka can work, but I think that's usually only 40% (and has random stuff that's not just alcohol and water, as the rum would be...)

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HissHisss

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak