Some more giant squid photos from AUT

Thank you so much for the amazing pictures! I enjoyed the "GIANT SQUID" sign on the side of the "box," in case someone didn't know what it was! Thanks Dr. O'Shea. New Zealand looks lovely this time of year

Giant Squid Fishing in California

I ma just wandering if anyone has seen this video of a giant squid being caught in San Diego Bay? I find it hard to believe and would think that Marine Biologists and Scientists would be jumping for a chance to catch these like this.

Am amazing animal indeed, although I'm not too happy with that young fellow hitting the squid at the end, or with shouting the likes of 'kill, kill, kill' throughout.

Particularly noteworthy is the bahaviour of this animal when on the end of the lure; not too dissimilar to that of Dr Kubodera's Architeuthis off Japan (squid tend to do this on the end of a lure).

The important thing to remember is that the squid on the lure in this YouTube scene is not giant squid, but rather the Humboldt squid. The silly press keep getting these two confused.

People are dumb.
Some proud parents of such wonderful kids.
What a healthy respect for wildlife, too. :rolleyes:

Dr. Steve, what would be the safest way to release a squid like this if someone who didn't want to shout "kill, kill!" and hit it once it was landed accidentally caught one? I can't imagine leaving the hook in and cutting the line would be healthy, but I imagine the time out of the water and the ensuing struggle would be stressful if you were to try to remove the hook...Any thoughts?

It's sad to see kids chanting "kill, kill". I just hope that some day they can see that the squid is a creature better off not being killed, just like anything else. Hopefully they won't grow up to be like Peter Talley.

Michael Blue;93470 said:
I can't imagine leaving the hook in and cutting the line would be healthy, but I imagine the time out of the water and the ensuing struggle would be stressful if you were to try to remove the hook...Any thoughts?

No cutting the line and leaving the hook in wouldn't be good, I would put the squid in a fish bin and hold the mantle (while wearing wet gloves to try to preserve the skin) then unhook the squid, if they're using a squid jig it will be barbless and should come off easily, if it was a barbed hook, I'd push it through, then cut the hook to remove it.

It would probably take two people though! Steve may have other methods?

J

Unsticking this thread also. There should be some news to post here in the not-too-distant future, at which point in time we'll ressurect it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back