Some more giant squid photos from AUT

I'm sooooo glad I don't have a car park in your building most especially on that level!!! It reminds me of the time Kerry & I visited and you were thawing an Archi in the carpark an there was a stream of melt water and squid glop pooling around the tyres of some poor souls car :yuck: bet they couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from later :lol:

J

What smell?

Top to bottom, being lifted out of the vessel, opened at AUT, and stitched. Hopefully, soon, it will be on display and we get pics of it in the final tank.

Attachments

• conv_290648.jpg
    conv_290648.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 73
  • conv_290649.jpg
    conv_290649.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 72
  • conv_290650.jpg
    conv_290650.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 76
Steve O'Shea;92780 said:
The next step was to get said squid into vehicle. . This was not an easy exercise! (The chair holding one end of the tank up simply collapsed, and 200kg worth of squid and 75kg worth of tank came crashing down VERY quickly!!).

Moral of the story .... don't try and shift a squid with a chair!

Well Steven...if you look closely at the container the squid is in you will note at the bottom there are two grooves...these, surprisingly, are exactly the same width apart as the tynes on a fork lift truck! This device...seemingly unknown in Auckland, is quite useful..in fact you can even hire them for a few dollars - definitely less expensive than a new chair............

Why Sir M, Oh great pseudonym one. Should I reveal your identity to all? How unlike you to give me a hard time.

Men have been hauling giant squid for tens of millions of years. Besides, I need the practice - there'll be near 500kg of squid to benchpress soon.

myopsida;92812 said:
Well Steven...if you look closely at the container the squid is in you will note at the bottom there are two grooves...these, surprisingly, are exactly the same width apart as the tynes on a fork lift truck! This device...seemingly unknown in Auckland, is quite useful..in fact you can even hire them for a few dollars - definitely less expensive than a new chair............

Our way was MUCH funnier, and a much better story too...

Steve O'Shea;92813 said:
Why Sir M, Oh great pseudonym one. Should I reveal your identity to all?...

:shock: :heee:

I have NO idea who he is, but I must say it is my secret wish (well, not so secret anymore) that none other than Mr. Michael deGruy is on this site...Somewhere. :smile:

He's the guy "responsible" for my fascination with these little buggers, afterall. :wink:

Steve O'Shea;92813 said:
Why Sir M, Oh great pseudonym one. Should I reveal your identity to all? How unlike you to give me a hard time.

Men have been hauling giant squid for tens of millions of years. Besides, I need the practice - there'll be near 500kg of squid to benchpress soon.

But Steve, my identity was revealed to all - only to be cast into oblivion when taken seriously! (instead of reading what I posted):roll:

You just need the occasional gentle reminder that you are in Auckland now and need vigilance to avoid becoming a jafa.

Steve O'Shea;92811 said:
What smell?

Put it this way Kerry and I knew we were on the right floor the minute the elevator doors opened:lol: . I expect your nasal chemoreceptors have long since burned out due to sensory overload :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But what a job. At PML we have a small fork for moving barrels of fuel for the runabout and barrels of alcohol to the DG store, its not a driveable one, it's like the front end of a fork lift and you walk behind it.....something like that would save you from permanent spinal damage..........don't want you all to end up looking like Igor, even if you were working on a Frankensquid!!!

J

Well, the squid went for a drive through a wet, central New Zealand yesterday. Just a pic of some lovely, moist scenery in the middle of a gorge.

After we reached our destination, we spent the best part of 4 hours working on the specimen, getting it ready for sealing of the tank. I left the final sealing to the happy folk you'll see in the pictures.

Unfortunately the room lighting wasn't the best, with fluorescent lights and windows contributing to my misery as I tried to get a good shot. Here are just a few, though I'm not really happy with the end result (photos that is). They are installing spooky lighting in the tank today, and will then seal it.

It is a big animal that nicely fits in the tank (3m x 0.75m (wide) by 0.5m (high)).

The squid just needs a little tidying up now, but no major.

Attachments

• conv_290662.jpg
    conv_290662.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_290663.jpg
    conv_290663.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 97
  • conv_290664.jpg
    conv_290664.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 75
And a few more

Attachments

• conv_290665.jpg
    conv_290665.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 68
  • conv_290666.jpg
    conv_290666.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 77
  • conv_290667.jpg
    conv_290667.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 74
I still think Dr Squidenstein's creation is a formidable beast. What's its ML again? Congrats on such a fine effort!

Interior of a funeral parlour, canned organ music playing in the background. Two elderly Architeuthis stand at a casket.

Flo: Oh, she looks so peaceful.
Reg: Yeah. Real natural, like.
Flo: Why, she might as well be sleeping. A lovely job, they did.
Reg: Not tarted up, I hate that.
Flo: And such nice lighting.
Reg: Flattering, it is.
Flo: Inscription's a bit much.
Reg: Must think we're stupid.

:roll:

barry;93142 said:
Reminds me of the time I ate squids liver in a sushi bar in Japan... now this one would make a proper meal!!

It wouldn't, unless you like slobbering ammonia :wink:

It might also be a suggestion to change your sig?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back